Author Topic: Carlton cinema Taunton Road  (Read 6554 times)

Andy Capp

Carlton cinema Taunton Road
« on: March 12, 2006, 04:12:29 PM »
Can anyone remember the Carlton cinema getting bombed. I was told about 20 people got killed in there that night. I think the site is landscaped now. I have heard that someone is trying to get a memorial placque erected to the victims of that night. I think it was one the few cinemas in Birmingham that had a lift. Andy Capp

Andy Capp

Re: Carlton cinema Taunton Road
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 02:39:14 PM »
Carlton Cinema Taunton Road Andy Capp

Lizzy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 03:36:33 AM »
Hi Andy
A friend of my brother-in-laws was killed when the Carlton got bombed.He was lucky as he & his girl friend left when the warning came on the screen that a raid was in progress.His number wasnt up.
All the best Lizzy

madeinbirmingham

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
The numbers and the names of people are contained in a record of civillian deaths in Word War 2 air raids on Birmingham in the Birmingham Reference Library.

The largest number killed was on a raid on the BSA in 1940 (53) a memorial appeal is within

www.madeinbirmingham.org
www.madeinbirmingham.org  Birmingham's Industrial History Website

Bootneck

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »
Hi Andy,
I was only a babe in arms but my Mom was taking me to the Carlton the night it was bombed luckily our neighbor Bill Stretton stopped her, Dad was on nights at the Austin and had asked him to look after us.
Regards.

AnnMarie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »
Hi Andy, 

There is a monument already in the Bull Ring for civilians killed in the war.  I went to look while in Birmingham last August.  I had a cousin who was killed in the Carlton.

It is down by St Martins Church. I found it very moving.

Cheers
AnnMarie :)

Shakey

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
Hi, My late father told me that he was working with a mate, though I can't remember his name now, at the BSA. One night he said to my Dad " I'm skipping work and going down the Carlton Cinema tonight, Are you coming?" to which my Dad replied "No, we will get into trouble" and so my dad went to work that night and his mate did not turn up. The following morning he saw his mates mum talking to the works manager and was asked if he had seen her son. He said no, he wasn't in work last night but didn't tell of his friend going to the Carlton Cinema. He found out after that his mate had been killed as the Carlton took a direct hit from a German bomb. My Dad was William Tomlinson but better known as Bill or Billy.

ChrisB

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
interesting posts, all very sad, yes the Carlton had the screen end blown out by a bomb and the people in the front stalls took the brunt of the explosion, and the Carlton was the only cinema in Birmingham that had a lift to take to the rear balcony. It had a bit of chequered history, in the first place the original people to have it built ran out of cash, as the foundations were on sandy soil and they could not afford to have the site excavated any further in order to find a firm sub- strata, then someone else took over the project, it was owned at one time by the Victoria Playhouse group.

haqiali

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 02:11:36 AM »
Chris Sutton World War 2 History about the Carlton Cinema.

Hi everyone/anyone who has some connection with the bombing of the Carlton Cinema.  I am interested in hearing peoples stories.

haqiali

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 02:13:44 AM »

planetmalc

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
Considering how few cinemas there were (relative to other properties), I've always been surprised at just how many of them seem to have been bombed during WW2.     Is this real or an illusion?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy