Author Topic: Mount Pleasant School  (Read 7454 times)

JohnACrump

Mount Pleasant School
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
Hello All,

New user, and first post, so aploogies for any errors pf protocol.

Born in 1954, lived in Henly Street and Grafton Road Sparkbrook. My dad ran the fruit and veg shop at 80 Henly street. I attented Christ Church school, then Sparkhill boys, and from September 1967 the new Mount Pleasant Balsall Heath.

Any one know why the school was shut down after just a few years operation?

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Mount Pleasant School
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
JohnACrump welcome to the forum and enjoy
im sure one of our members will help you out some one some where knows whats going on O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum

I think it was down to bad planning in the first place, it was built when they were demolishing the area. So as more houses were demolished they got less pupils. We helped convert another school to a teacher training college down in Lee Bank not far away for the same reason.

Anyway it wasn't that good a school anyway, my uncle took his daughter out of there after she was attacked by five boy pupils and the head mistress refused to do anything about it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JohnACrump

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
Roy / Phil.

Thanks for that. I had not considerd the masive demolition going on a a contrbution. I had read somewhere that the main area was found to have been constructed with high alumina ?? cement, and was considered to be unsafe

I enjoyed my three years there, with John Wells the music teacher as my form master. Mrs Hanks was the head, but I did not know her well

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
John,

HAC might have been a contributory factor, but I think it may have been an excuse to cover the fact that the building was surplus to requirement. Anyway as far as I can recollect the school is still standing but is now used as a college. There is also the fact that many building build using HAC are still being used today and still fit for the purpose they were built for.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
Hello JohnACrump.
                                 I thought your name looked a little familiar.I'm a little older than you (born 1940) However I do remember your parents in their fruit and veg shop.An extremely nice couple whom were well respected in the neighbourhood.I'm guessing,but would suggest that your folks were in their early 20s in 1954,if my memory serves me well your Mother had long black hair,your Father had dark hair also albeit a little receding.I can even see what must have been your pram in the front of the shop.
Mrs Stubbs had the grocery shop next door and two elderly sisters ran the small cosy cafe a couple of doors away.
On the corner of Grafton Road you had Jonne's cafe and Rodgers the paper shop.
You must have had your hair cut at Alberts the barber just by the off licence and maybe you knew his two children.Ronald and Barbara.So very nice to hear from a member from the "old End". O0

JohnACrump

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
Wow !

Correct in every way.

I have two younger brothers Len born in 1956, and Graham from 1960.

I did indeed have my hair cut at Albert s. A short back and sides, even though the school fashion  called for what I think was a "Boston" cut. In 1966 we moved next to Rodgers paper shop at number three  to look after my Grandmother Elizabeth, who was developing cancer. She had worked at the factory in Grafton Road, and was also well known locally. I also remember a Mr Pratt who was the local window cleaner, and lived round the corner.

It's strange how remembering one thing brings back dozen's of other little details. I can feel a (not so ) short essay coming on...

My very  best wishes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
John

The trouble with putting the amount of photos on forums as I do is it's very hard to remember just what ones I have and have not posted. With this is mind I am sorry if I have posted this photo of Henley St taken in 1964 before.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
Thank you Phil,a wonderful photo.It shows clearly Mrs Stubbs grocery store on the corner with Crumps fruit and veg shop next door.
Our very best wishes to you all for 2013. O0

JohnACrump

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »
Phil ~ Gee Gee

Thanks for posting. I have seen that one before, and it clearly shows my father Alf standing in the doorway. I have wonderd for years if the lady walking down the street is my mother, but I don't know. Can I ask if there is a protocol to posting pictures here. I have a poor quality print taken by my class three form teacher Miss Cole from Christ Church school, around 1962 at a school fayre. Is it ok to scan and post?

Regards

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
John
The only protocol for uploading photos to the forum is that they are no larger than 80k in size with a total upload of 192k for a maximum of 10 images.

An ideal way to upload to the forum is to follow the instructions here
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy