Author Topic: Mount Pleasant School  (Read 7456 times)

Gee Gee

Re: Mount Pleasant School
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
Hello again JohnACrump,
                                          On a lighter note,did your ever bowl an over or two,kick a football about around Farm Park.? Maybe you ventured over the crater in Sampson Road.?Who were your playmates at that time.? I remember your pram positioned amongst the boxes of fruit and veg in the front of your folks shop.I always admired the wheels on your pram,I could visualise those wheels on my soap box. ;D That little corner of Sparkbrook remains so very fond in my memory. O0

JohnACrump

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Hi Gee Gee,

Yes indeed I did. Played a lot of Cricket, in Farm park. At school I knew David Brazier, Paul Allen , Paul Swinnerton, Joyce White, Llila Swords and many others. Alan Craggs was the head of Christ Church school with teachers David Randall, Miss Cole, Miss Roberts Alan Ball. Lost contact with most when I moved on to Sparkhill boys, whilst most of my friends went to Golden Hillock.

Gee Gee

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
What age would your Miss Cole be in your school days.? I knew a Diane Cole from South Road.

JohnACrump

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »
Not too far away from retirement, She was, at my time Class three which would be 63  ~ 64 ish

She in fact took a photograph of me at the school fair Morris dancing of all things.
I will scan it in at the weekend, as it shows quite a crowd of kids and adults. May well be people you recognise.

I can't do it right now, as I am an IT consultant, working from home just outside Stafford, and I can't connect anything to this laptop  without raising a security alarm.

Regards

Gee Gee

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
Shame,however,not the Miss Cole that I knew.My Miss Cole would have been a very pretty 21 year old young lady. O0

JohnACrump

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
Just a quick scan and very poor quality. I will improve on this at the weekend, but for the moment I am on the end wearing a tie and just above my head, my mother Olive and Gran Elizabeth

planetmalc

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
She in fact took a photograph of me at the school fair Morris dancing of all things.
None of us are fully responsible for our actions at that age, John, so no-one on here will hold it against you. ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Gee Gee

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Sorry John,
                   I was unable to recognise anyone from your photo,other than your mother and gran.
I should have added before;I attended (use the term losely) Oakley Road school and left the neighbourhood Jan 1958.

wam

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Hello All,

New user, and first post, so aploogies for any errors pf protocol.

Born in 1954, lived in Henly Street and Grafton Road Sparkbrook. My dad ran the fruit and veg shop at 80 Henly street. I attented Christ Church school, then Sparkhill boys, and from September 1967 the new Mount Pleasant Balsall Heath.

Any one know why the school was shut down after just a few years operation?

This is the explanation taken from the Heathan (local newspaper for Balsall Heath) in its December 1974 issue
"As most of our readers will know,Mount Pleasant School has had a very difficult term. The main
school building,a six-storey teaching block,was found in August to have 'high alumina' cement in
its beams,and was therefore closed on August 16th. Although other parts of the school are unaffected by the cement,and can be used still,the closure of the main block has meant that the majority of the school's 1200 pupils have had to be rehoused elsewhere."

I daresay the reduced housing in the area may have played a part in the fact that the school was never fully restored but even though the housing was. There is still no full scale secondary school in the area. The building was partially reopened as a 6th form college. The building was demolished a few years ago after the college relocated across the road. The site has now been empty for a few years after an intended redevelopment as large retail units seems to have fallen through.

JohnACrump

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »
Wam

Many thanks for the information

vhallan

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
Hi
I've just joined this topic. I went to Mount Pleasant School when it forst opened ,straight into 3.21 Mrs Loyd Smith . I seem to recall John Crump . My name is Vinod Hallan. I would be good to hear from others who were in the same year

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy