Author Topic: INFO OR PICTURES OF ALDERSON ROAD ALUM ROCK  (Read 1164 times)

KOOLIE

INFO OR PICTURES OF ALDERSON ROAD ALUM ROCK
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
Hi Everyone.
I joined the forum a month or so back and just finally found time to post .
I'm looking for any information or archive pictures on Alderson Road in Alum Rock Birmingham 8, especially from when it was all built which i think is just before or after the first war. It will also be good to hear from anyone who remembers us who grew up in the surrounding streets.
My parents bought the corner grocery shop number 127 where Rockville road merges with alderson road and where my brother and i grew up from 1958 to 1973 when we sold up and moved to Castle Bromwich.
Southalls factory was central to the whole area and a lot of our trade came from what was then hospital instuments and i remember coming home at lunchtime from school with the shop full of girls in overalls buying their sandwiches. What a sight for a young boy !! Of course it's all gone now.
We moved from Yardley where my brother and i were born in Elmcroft road,me in 1952 and my brother in 1949. I moved south where i've lived 38 years but still return to Brum to visit old school friends.
I've spent hours on this forum and been entranced with all the memories coming back! Your'e doing a great job!!
I will post some pictures of the shop and the road as soon as i've proccessed some slides i have from my mum

Cheers
Chris