Author Topic: the night out in birmingham  (Read 7667 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
the night out in birmingham
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
did Any one ever go to the night out in brum having three kids to feed and money being short i had a night time job there and so did my sis i used to get £3 a shift but most nights i would get about ten pound in tips my day job gave me about 30 pound aweek so i was on good money but the best part was i got to see the shows and meet some of the stars the big o was one of them and i got to chat to him one to one for about 20 minits i was there for about 18 months its a shame that it closed down i do not know of any other place where you can get a meal and see all the top stares it was on par with the talk of the town in London trust house owned both places
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

Re: the night out in birmingham
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »
Good night out... lets go back in time, way back to the days of walking policemen, change for a pound, ( no matter what you bought), pertol 5,- a gallon. when people used to walk alone down dark streets,... "that was along time ago",

How about the Castaways in Bradford St, I had many a good night out there, then there was another club near the "LaCarno ( dance hall), one night we had Kathy Kerby on, and she asked us for requests, that we would like her to sing, "Seven drunken nights"I shouted.......almost got slung out... happy days, ha,  O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »
no john it was called the night out by the way they changed the castaways to a strip club( the nurse with no knickers went there) but it was one of the few places that you could have a night out
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Roy

I remember the night out on the Horsefair, they changed it into the Dome for kids as if they didn't have enough disco's. Before anyone says the kids need places to enjoy themselves, I agree. The older generation need places as well. I know The Night Out, The Cresta, and Kings were not the poshest places in the world and were perhaps not suitable places for gourmets, but at least you could sit down have a bite and a drink without being pushed shoved and jostled.

The only place you can get a similar service now in the midlands only put on tribute acts as they are called. To see the originals you have to go and sit in a theatre or similar, or even worse stand in a muddy field somewhere. I've done and now I'm too old for that.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:36:25 PM »
Shame that.... the castaways was a great place for a meal and a dance, some times "if"you where lucky, ( which wasn't often you could pull a bird,), but when they found out you only had a Ford van, you didn't stand a chance after....so it was back to the roller rink or the dance hall at he Edgbasten reservoir,  but I did have some good nights out there with some mates, ( yep, I had one or two if I remember ),

john2000

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:41:47 PM »
PS:, I dont know if any of you went to the castaways, but if you did, you would see my handy work, I built the ship, and the bar, and the silly little bridge, there wa a little stream that used to have fish in, but after a time the fish would die, ( too much beer was spilt in it, ) what a waste.... :-\

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »
John,

I never got in to the Castaways, I didn't do nightclubs when I was a youngster. I couldn't see the sense in paying all that extra money for the boose. If you couldn't pull before the pubs closed you might as well go home. By the time I started to take an interest in nightclubs The Castaways had sunk to the levels of a dive.

You would have had a much better chance at somewhere like La Dolce Vita, out of the Locarno and over the road to La Dolce Vita. Watch a good top rate entertainer have a few drinks and see what developed.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 01:03:50 AM »
Well, it looks as if I left before the fall, but, stil it was a nice place ( The castaways,) mind you then I was makeing 15 pounds a week, and a Tee bone stake costs 1 pound.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »
John,

Why did you want to go there for a T bone, the biggest and best T bone steak to be had anywhere was up the road on the corner of Moseley Rd and Stratford St in The Gilden Gloves.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
John,

Sorry Golden Gloves that should have been.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:02:57 PM »
Roy,

I saw The Big O Roy Orbison twice at the Night Out, and I saw him twice at the Odeon New Street I also saw him another time but I can't bring to memory where. His performance each time was impeccable he never gave a bad show. I envy you and think you very lucky to have met him.

Phil47
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy