Author Topic: Bird Flu - Are you ready?  (Read 2900 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Bird Flu - Are you ready?
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:04:53 PM »
In 1918, a  flu pandemic killed more than 20 million people worldwide. Experts now say another pandiemic is imminent.

Should we be panicking and stocking up on surgical masks and Tamiflu?

spyro2000

Re: Bird Flu - Are you ready?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:29:32 AM »
I doubt it will get to that level. Plus medicine is so advanced nowadays that im sure cures will be widespread should we get an epademic.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Graham

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »
Spyro, it is good to be optimistic in your life but you should listen to what the experts say.
As a victim of the Asian flu, in the 50's, I also hope that they are wrong. I came within an inch of dying with that flu, hundreds of thousands did die of it, I can assure you it's a terrible way to go.
As for modern day treatment, they don't yet know what form this flu will take on, so in my oppinion there is no way that they can make a vacine in time to save all.

Graham

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »
Chris, panicking is the last thing we need, but it would be a good idea to take precautions and stock up with these things.
If you get infected with this flu it takes 7 to 8 days before you have any symptoms and then it is too late as most of the infected die within 14 days! To be of any use you must take the antivirus within 48 hours of being infected. 
I have it on good authority that the best means is by the use of Oseltamivir, more than 50 countries are laying on huge stocks of this product, so at least many are taking the threat very seriously. Oseltamivir may be in Tamiflu, I don't know, I'm not a chemist.
Hard work is being put in to find a vacine against this virus. If this flu does come around and you have no other protection, then face masks seem to be not such a bad idea to prevent infection from infected moisture in the air. At this time you can't catch bird flu through breathing in the air from an infected person, you can only get it from infected poultry. So if eating or preparing poultry extreem care and hygene should always be taken.
If taking precautions can save one life, then yes we should.

Graham

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
I've just had my flu jab for the coming winter, have you  ???

Graham.

Langstraat

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
Another scam breaks through to the forum re: flufightersonline

Graham,

Every year we have a flu injection policy at work and every year my partner has the jab and then suffers for a couple of weeks. 
I resist the pressures to have the vaccination and so far (so good) have avoided the symptoms.
Hopefully building up my resistance naturally.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »
Langstraat, I too have always thought on the same lines as you, that we build a natural resistance to the flu, but I am no longer so sure about that and certainly no longer prepared to take the risk.

In the 50's I copped for that famous bout of Asian flu that killed thousands of people, it very nearly killed me too. If I copped for a bout of flu like that again, in my old age, I don't see how I could ever survive it.

Graham.

Langstraat

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 11:51:10 PM »
You'll go on forever Graham.
You must have a wonderful resistance if you survived the Asian flu not too mention the deceases associated with surgical operations.
 Bet you out live us all.
Surviver would be an apt description.

re: Asian flu. As an alternative to the flu jab I may wear a Burka (topical comment)  ;)
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:45:42 AM »
I thought that we were all survivors growing up in Balsall Heath/Sparkbrook?

How did you guess? Yes I am a surviver, that's how I see myself. If you only knew half of it. Even before my 50's flu I had died at least 4 times, pneumonia twice, administration of the last sacraments twice, brought back to life from drowning, twice. Fallen from great heights (more than 20ft) twice. Not to mention the bike crashes that I've had in my 9 years of top cycling, it just goes on and on. I often wonder if I am really still alive or am I in some kind of life after death situation! I shiver to think what my next ordeal will be.

Langstraat

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »
Graham,

Looks like you're running on borrowed time  ;)

john2000

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »
Graham, if you want to live a long time theres a company that will give a 20 year grantee on the work they carry out, have a chat with them, you may live forever.. Rentokil, .... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy