Author Topic: Birmingham CO-OP Bakery  (Read 18325 times)

peter321

Birmingham CO-OP Bakery
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »

Can anyone help their was a co-op bakery in the Digbeth or Derritend  area a large old building in the 1950s can anyone tell me the road in was in please.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Birmingham CO-OP Bakery
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
hi peter and welcome have a read of this thread  just click on the link  roy
down memory lane in birmingham

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Akatarawa

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:16 AM »
My mother was born and lived in Belmont Row from 1910 through to the 1930s.  Her main childhood memories are connected with playing in the Co-op stables and bread carts on a Sunday when it was quiet, and the all pervasive smell of baked bread.

So that may be the location you are thinking of Peter.

kipper 57

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
I mainly remember the co-op baker calling at the back door with his basket and bread and a selection of cakes in his bakers van. Ours in Baker st was called David and we had him for ages. Anyone else remember him in the area?
Jan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
As far as I can find out, Birmingham Co-operative Society Bakeries were situated at Great Brook St Nechells (bread) High Park Rd Smethwick (bread) Manor Rd Stechford (bread) Adderley Rd Saltley (cakes).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peter321

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the information I think you may be right it probably was High Park road Smethwick I was probably only about 10 when my father took me there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »
Just as a matter of interest here are photos of the interiors of the bakery's at Great Brook St, Manor Rd, and Smethwick.

Peter the bakery could have been the one at Great Brook St as it isn't that far from Deritend.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peter321

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
 Thanks yes I have found out he probably did work at the Great Brook Street bakery but then was transferred to High Park road Smethwick perhaps when it was closed round the mid 50’s?
I believe my grandmother lived round the corner from the bakery in Windsor Street And the stables backed on to her yard behind a large wall can you confirm weather Windsor Street was by the bakery?

vauxonion

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Thanks yes I have found out he probably did work at the Great Brook Street bakery but then was transferred to High Park road Smethwick perhaps when it was closed round the mid 50’s?
I believe my grandmother lived round the corner from the bakery in Windsor Street And the stables backed on to her yard behind a large wall can you confirm weather Windsor Street was by the bakery?

I cant recall any stables in Windsor St although it was intersected by Gr,Brook St. The stables for the bread horses was in the stores yard at Belmont Row. The milk horses were kept under the arches of the Vauxhall Viaduct.

peter321

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks that has cleared up what I was looking for

planetmalc

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

The milk horses were kept under the arches of the Vauxhall Viaduct.

I ate one of them recently, in Burger King. :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy