Author Topic: New Inns Great Lister Street?  (Read 6828 times)

floral

New Inns Great Lister Street?
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
Used to go from Belfast to visit relatives in the 1960's who ran a pub in Great Lister Street. Does anyone out there remember it.   

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: New Inns Great Lister Street?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
Hi floral,

Welcome to the forum

Not a pub I ever used, though I did use the Raven & the Green Man which are quite close but I was never a regular in those either because I was well under age.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

floral

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
Ah, thank you very much for that Phil, memories. My cousin used to run a smaller pub I think it was called The Britannia which as far as I can remember was near the new Inns do you remember that pub. Once again thanks for the welcome and the information

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
floral

The Britannia was quite near to the New Inns, I have marked both pubs in red on this map 1 being the New Inns and 2 the Britannia on the corner of Proctor St & Bullock St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

floral

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
floral

The Britannia was quite near to the New Inns, I have marked both pubs in red on this map 1 being the New Inns and 2 the Britannia on the corner of Proctor St & Bullock St.

Thank you so much for this, I am from Belfast and the people who ran the pubs etc where my late Mums cousin.  My daughter has been living in Leamington Spa for 18 years but did not know the location of the pubs. Once again thanking you very much.

gibson

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
If my memory is correct, when the "New Inns" Great Lister Street/ Windsor Street, Nechells, was built in the early 1950s,
It was managed by a Mr and Mrs Masters, who's son Arthur was at Eliot Street School, at the same time as myself, 1943/1953
Can anyone on the forum confirm this please..

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Gibson

I can neither confirm or refute your statement, I can only tell you that in 1937 there was a New Inns on the corner of Windsor St & great Lister St.

I have always thought it a strange looking pub and can't see that it was built that way with intent. Perhaps it suffered bomb damage during the war and it was rebuilt that way because it wasn't worth a complete rebuild as it was soon to be demolished. So perhaps it was re-opened in the early 50's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
If my memory is correct, when the "New Inns" Great Lister Street/ Windsor Street, Nechells, was built in the early 1950s,
It was managed by a Mr and Mrs Masters, who's son Arthur was at Eliot Street School, at the same time as myself, 1943/1953
Can anyone on the forum confirm this please..

I think it was a bit later maybe late 50s I dont remember the News Inns seen in Phils Photo But the window cleaners seem to be dressed 50s style I,m thinking that the pub was altered on the frontage, it would be nice to see a later photo of the new New inns  so they can be compared. Dek

page

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
I can remember playing in the New Inns when it was derelict, maybe about 1955, used to go to the pawn shop a lot in Great Lister St.    Whites the removal people were close to the pub, they moved us to Erdington.

blane

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:55 PM »
I can remember the New Inns being renovated about 1960. ???

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »
Surprisingly the New Inns was still standing in 1972-73 when almost all of the rest of Great Lister Street had gone or had been rebuilt.

Though it looks as if my theory about the design of the building being due to bomb damage as the c1920/30 photo shows it was always like that. oddly the building that replaced it has a similar design. I wonder if there is a reason and the corner has something under it that can't take a lot of weight.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy