Author Topic: New Street Station  (Read 32498 times)

cocacolakid

Re: New Street Station
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Hi Roy..
TV reports say Curzon St will be used for HS2 trains. I can't see how the old goods station can be used for these modern trains in it's present form.  I reckon they will have to build a new modern station, maybe just keeping the old facade, if possible ??
                                                                                                                             Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

[email protected]

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
I remember them all.  I used to catch the train to Tamworth from platform 7 on Saturdays for a days train spotting on the Tamworth main line.  1/10p return. I think  there is a picture of Queens drive somewhere on the forum ?

Used to like traveling on the big red buses, used to get on them outside St Martins church, in the old Bull Ring.
                                                                                                                        Malc.
me too ah those were good days train spotting

cocacolakid

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
me too ah those were good days train spotting
George..
Yes, they were good days.  I used to go to New St, after school. Living in Balsall Heath it was only a short distance to the station.  Before I had a bike, I would walk/run there.
                                                                                                                                           Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
George..
Yes, they were good days.  I used to go to New St, after school.                                                                                                                   Malc.

Me too, Malc: regular as clockwork straight from school I'd take the 29A bus to town with my classmates; stop off at Digbeth to clock the Midland Red buses in the garage; then off to New Street for a bit of trainspotting (the highlight would be seeing what was on 'The Glasgow' which came in around 17.10hrs, normally pulled by a 'Scot', but sometimes it'd be a 'Brit').

A Tardis, A Tardis,
My kingdom for a Tardis! ;D     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »
Hi Roy..
TV reports say Curzon St will be used for HS2 trains.                                                                                                                           Malc.

Not if Nigel Farage ever gets hold of the reins! :o

cocacolakid

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

Me too, Malc: regular as clockwork straight from school I'd take the 29A bus to town with my classmates; stop off at Digbeth to clock the Midland Red buses in the garage; then off to New Street for a bit of trainspotting (the highlight would be seeing what was on 'The Glasgow' which came in around 17.10hrs, normally pulled by a 'Scot', but sometimes it'd be a 'Brit').

[/quote
Hi Malc..
You have got it spot on.  Seeing what was pulling the "Glasgow" was the main reason to be there. There were other locos of interest too, but they were usually none namers.  I was never the only one there, always other lad's waiting for the same thing. It would not be wrong to sugest that our paths probably crossed at some time or other at New St Station.  8)   Sorry, can't help with the Tardis   ::)

Malc.

[email protected]

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
started train spotting in and about 1945 9yrs old I would be on New St station  from morning till nearly 22-00 hrs no bother those days with pervo's etc  safe to walk the streets / anything with a number on I would collect.. Ian Allen ref books at 1/6P/ DIFFERENT COLOURED INKS  /  log books incase clever clogs used to ask where did you see that /  My Mam used to work at Monument Lane  3E/ now its CP and Cn / RAILWAYS IN MY BLOOD STILL ARE /  thank you COCACOLA kid / many memories / jog me some more /  What about the 1st sight of Crewe/ that was pure magic

[email protected]

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
 Hey Malc do you remember the Stratford Blue  busses ? they appeared to be from a different planet  only because of colour / all the barrow boys around the Bull Ring / if I was rich I used to treat myself to a Marsh &Baxter pork pie from station Buffet  on platform 2 /// 6p, a fortune then ..  unrebuilt scots  Royal Scot complete with bell  6100/  the 1st Jubilee I spotted was  Camperdown on a Bristol -Bradford / 1st stop Tamworth , that was special / shunter 6878 never seemed to break down / signal box at the end of Platform 6 amongst the rubbish / I must have been filthy by the time I got home  playing with barrows trucks  &post office wagons / hahaha good olde days

[email protected]

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
message to Phil global moderator / lovely to see the pics of Queens Drive / thank you so much  ;)

cocacolakid

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
George..
Thanks too for your many memories.  AS interested as I am, to go into them all, would I fear, take us off the thread of New St Station.
                                                                                                                                Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
Hey Malc do you remember the Stratford Blue  busses ? they appeared to be from a different planet  only because of colour / all the barrow boys around the Bull Ring / if I was rich I used to treat myself to a Marsh &Baxter pork pie from station Buffet  on platform 2 /// 6p, a fortune then ..  unrebuilt scots  Royal Scot complete with bell  6100/  the 1st Jubilee I spotted was  Camperdown on a Bristol -Bradford / 1st stop Tamworth , that was special / shunter 6878 never seemed to break down / signal box at the end of Platform 6 amongst the rubbish / I must have been filthy by the time I got home  playing with barrows trucks  &post office wagons / hahaha good olde days

Yeah, I remember Stratford Blue buses; I think they were mostly Leylands.     Ashamed to say I've never been on one.     I started spotting too late to see unrebuilt Scots, but I worked with a guy who went to Saltley Grammar School and recalls seeing a streamlined Semmy in the cutting by Belchers Lane bridge.    'Jubes' were the most common namers in New Street; some, like Sturdee or Tanganyika you could guarantee to see on every visit, while others (like Vernon) never seem to have made it to Brum.    You could see most of the Scots if you went there regularly, but the 2 rarities were Black Watch and HLI (which was our acronym for Highland Light Infantry City of Glasgow Regiment).    HLI DID finally put in an appearance on 2 consecutive evenings in the late 50's, witnessed by the regular crowd on the first night and by literally hundreds the next night after the word had got round!    With all that writing to cram in, HLI's nameplate was definitely 'different'! ;D      Clan Campbell was also spotted in there on a late 50's evening.    Great days! O0     

At the risk of thread drift, I've just been in Moor Street Station and they've got a green BR-liveried Brush 4, 47773 (D1755), on display in there :o   -  not a soul was looking at it! ;D     

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy