Author Topic: Lozells Harriers Athletic Club History 1899-1991  (Read 6019 times)

florence

Lozells Harriers Athletic Club History 1899-1991
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
The History of Lozells Harriers 1899-1991 has just been compiled and I shall be giving a talk on the books,[size=78%]also there will be a visual display of Photos,Medals also the Commonwealth Games Torch from the 2006[/size][size=78%]games carried by Fred Brooks a brummie who was with Lozells Harriers in the 1950s to early 1960.The[/size]
talk will be held at the Nechells Community Centre,Melvina Drive,Nechells,27th February at
10-00am all are welcome

Boz

Re: Lozells Harriers Athletic Club History 1899-1991
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »
The History of Lozells Harriers 1899-1991 has just been compiled and I shall be giving a talk on the books,[size=78%]also there will be a visual display of Photos,Medals also the Commonwealth Games Torch from the 2006[/size][size=78%]games carried by Fred Brooks a brummie who was with Lozells Harriers in the 1950s to early 1960.The[/size]
talk will be held at the Nechells Community Centre,Melvina Drive,Nechells,27th February at
10-00am all are welcome

As an ex member of Lozells from 1962 'til 1969, when I moved away from Birmingham, I'm
sorry to have not been able to attend the talk, as I've only today been put in touch with Fred by a guy of Tipton Harriers and am not living in the Midlands.

I'm sure the talk would have been interesting to members or their relatives, as the club has a proud history until it merged with Small Heath Harriers.

taichi

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
I was involved with Lozells in the 70's. I stated off sprinting then throwing, but found that these was not events for me, lack of coaching.  Then had a go at long distance, with Shamus Murrey, Peter topcliff and the boy from Birchfield, Peter and Ian Steward. But although not a bad runner, did not satify me. Then Comrad Phillips noticed had a talent as a coach and help me get my qualifications I had a group of athletes at all stages, one was national and on the verge of international, but then club started the wind down.  I tok her to Birchfield and although they wanted her, they did not want me. I advised her to join the club, she refused and although we tried to carry on Birchfield had too much power then as now.  So the athlete stopped running and although been in touch over the year hqve drifted apart. Lqs I heard wshe had two children and is at moment not well :(

blake01

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
My father, Brian Blakemore, was a member of Lozells Harriers Athletic Club from the late 1950's until 1965 when our family immigrated to Australia. 

I would like to acquire a copy of the book regarding the clubs history.

Could someone advise if this is possible??

blane

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
There is a chap at the Birmingham Heartlands History Club,based at Nechells Community Centre,who was a member of Lozells Harriers A.C.,apparently of some repute.He brought his medals,newspaper clippings etc down to show us not so long ago,I think his name was Claude Pullinger ?,if anyone could point you in the right direction it would be him.I'm down there on Monday (05/01/2015) and if he's there I will enquire for you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy