Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316189 times)

Jeftee

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »
Thanks townie.

Grandma Buggins

« Reply #1002 on: April 07, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »
Hi there, I lived in Old Croft Lane from the early 50's until I married in 1970.  Married Brian Hill, (a biker) who lived opposite in Parkhall Croft. My cousins the Piovesanas lived in Pencroft Road.  I passed my 11 plus and got sent to Erdington Grammar School.  My brother went to Central and my other half went to Alderlea. Went to Brownmead Primary.  I remember Mr. Kitchener and Mr. Williams,
 Mr. Bamcroft, Miss Owen, Miss Harvey and Miss Hunt who was the headmistress. She had a dog, a Pekinese, I think. Can remember all of the names of people who lived in Old Croft Lane from The Bradford Road to its junction with Pencroft Road.  is it PC to name them???

townie

« Reply #1003 on: April 07, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »

Hi Grandma Buggins welcome to the forum. I believe it is within the forum rules to name friends and neighbours. If you read through the tread many members have mentioned friends and family so there is no problem that I can see. I moved to Shard End in 1960 above the Shard End Shops.
You must have been on my paper round as I delivered to Old Croft Lane. I was also imprisoned at Alderlea from 65 to 69. I knew a lot of Bikers who used to hang around the Harlequin.  I am sure that when some Shard End members see your post they will reply.
townie.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

davesd1

« Reply #1004 on: April 08, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »

Hi GB,I was 11 when you married Brian,if memory serves he had a brother Paul,sister Linda and dad Jack?Around their ages would have been the Wrights,Graham,Derek and Linda also Malcolm Kesterton ,Graham Price and Jennifer Stacie
I'll try and remember Old Croft Lane names and the ones that come to mind are Ravenhill's,Chalmers,Traynors,Williams and Fenners,but that's as good as it gets.

Gill55

« Reply #1005 on: April 30, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
[font=]Only just joined this site so not sure how it works.  From 1955-1967 I lived at 45 School Lane, opposite the Wildes who had the shop there and next door but one to the church..  I had a good friend who lived at 16  Fennel Croft, Dawn Tucker.  I also when to Brownmead. I attended Brownmead from 60-67. I remember, Miss Castle, Mrs Uren and Mr Carpenter.  Also went to brownies.   My mum was best friends with Majorie Edwards who looked after the surgery (Dr Nitzke).  Happy memories. [/font]

Gill55

Re: School Lane Shard End Brownmead
« Reply #1006 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I did post something yesterday but only just joined this site.   I noticed that back in 2016 Johncee and Jools posted about Brownmead and School Lane, is there anyways of linking up to share memories of the 50s and early 60s of that area??

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1007 on: May 01, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »
Hi Gill

Welcome to you, unfortunately Johncee only made 4 posts to the forum and hasn't posted since 2016, but Jools last posted in November of last year.

When you have made 5 posts to the forum the messaging system will become available to you. You can then send a private message to both these members and then if they have set their profile up to receive notifications  the forums software will send these messages to them via email and if they want to they will respond through logging on to the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gill55

« Reply #1008 on: May 01, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks for that Phil.  What a pity as I recognised all the names mentioned in their posts.  Just hope that they may post again the future, it would be lovely to reminisce.

Gill55

« Reply #1009 on: May 01, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
Must keep on looking through the site. Lived in School Lane Castle Bromwich from 1955-1963 then the Radleys Sheldon 1963-1977 and went to Elms Farm and Byng Kenrick and mum's family came from Alum Rock, Duddeston, Nechells.

Grandma Buggins

« Reply #1010 on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Enjoyed a bacon sandwich today and it took me back to the 50's in Old Croft Lane.  Standing outside the house to watch the Boy's Brigade marching up the road on a Sunday morning and the smell of bacon floating on the air!!!

townie

« Reply #1011 on: May 01, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »

Gill I take it you lived opposite these cottages. If you remember one of these was a shop and that's where I had my first paper round. Think the lady who owned it was called Jenny. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy