Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316161 times)

countrylad

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1023 on: May 06, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
Hi Gill55, the only names I can remember were the Sargents and Middletons. I think we lived at 17 Williston Rd. Did you ever use the Petrol Garage the one nearest the tunnel by Lucas. A friend of mine worked there, early 70's as the Mechanic, ex army Irish guy, Bill. He got me my first job at Cooks Lane Garage in 71.
countrylad
I had a look on Google last night. It looks like I lived in number 16. The house still looks the same. Only now there is a door on the entry to the back yards that ran between the houses.

The houses across the road have been demolished, with new property's erected. The old houses must have been about 70 years old.
countrylad

Gill55

« Reply #1024 on: May 06, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »

Countrylad, you must have lived next door but one to the Davis family.  I remember a Middleton family from School Lane Castle Bromwich but not Sheldon.  While I was studying for my O and A levels from 1971-74 I worked at the Esso Station opposite my house on the corner of the Radleys and Mackadown lane.

countrylad

« Reply #1025 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Hello Gill55
 We are drifting a bit off topic with our post as we are under ShardEnd topic. I'll type a response under The Hay Mills, Sheldon and Yardley topic.
countrylad

Gill55

« Reply #1026 on: May 06, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
Good thinking.  I will look on the Sheldon site for the years I lived there!

wedgie

« Reply #1027 on: May 15, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
does anybody have any information regarding the wood work class at Alderlea boys school. I remember the wood work class making there own canoes and paddling across the English channel.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Henry

townie

« Reply #1028 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
When I was there I think the woodwork teacher was a welsh chap named Davis a really nice chap. I remember the canoes but don't know anything about crossing the channel. What year are we talking?  I wouldn't have crossed the Cole in anything made at Alderlea never mind the channel.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #1029 on: May 16, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »
I can remember Mr Bottly and Mr Thick as the woodwork teachers. I remember the canoes made of plywood hanging from the ceiling. One lad in my class made one. Some of the kids at Alderlea made some good stuff.
This is not sour grapes but it was the kids that were talented or had the aptitude for this type of things that did the more interesting stuff. I don't recall much nurturing for the slower but interested lads like me and a few others, so I just skipped off school.

I remember some newspaper cutting on the classroom wall about the channel, probably evening mail, late 60's
countrylad

townie

« Reply #1030 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »
Don't forget if your crossing the channel you will need 10 No6 tipped and a penny book of matches. 

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1031 on: December 15, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Dennis
Sorry but I have no copy of a photo of the old Baily Bridge in my files, to be honest I thought that I had I'll have to take a look through my back ups and hard copies to see if I can come up with anything.

As far as I understand it the shops on the photo were the temporary structures that were built on Shard End Crescent whilst they were awaiting the shops in this photo to be built, as far as I can see those shops have now been replaced as well.

i think the bailey bridge was put up in the 70s when the original bridge over the Cole by the Glebe playing fields was washed away in a storm.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1032 on: December 15, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
Hi De Hi.We moved to Glebe Farm in 49 and as far as I can remember the Bailey Bridge was up then.I think the old bridge was was blown up in the war when they bombed Cas Brom Spitfire works.Always remember the rattling could hear it from Colehall Lane
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

townie

« Reply #1033 on: December 15, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
Did you ever stand underneath and waited until a car came rumbling over. It was great in them days when you were a nipper.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy