Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316819 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1034 on: December 15, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
Townie ,it was a bit far from the Glebe to the Bailey Bridge
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1035 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
Townie ,it was a bit far from the Glebe to the Bailey Bridge

The bridge I am talking about is on Cole Hall Lane just down from the island where Brooklands Rd becomes Brook meadow Rd. My grandparents lived on Brook Meadow and we would walk down Cole Hall, cross the bridge then walk down a path on the right to the playing fields to watch the Gaelic Football and Hurley games.  IIRC The army had to put in a replacement bridge after the original was washed away. This would have been late 60s/early 70s.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1036 on: December 16, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
Sorry Hi De Hi got the wrong bridge.Id got married and moved to Lichfield by then.Always wondered why we were diverted via Shard End and Lea Village when we came to my parents to visit.

townie

« Reply #1037 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »

The bridge I am talking about is on Cole Hall Lane just down from the island where Brooklands Rd becomes Brook meadow Rd. My grandparents lived on Brook Meadow and we would walk down Cole Hall, cross the bridge then walk down a path on the right to the playing fields to watch the Gaelic Football and Hurley games.  IIRC The army had to put in a replacement bridge after the original was washed away. This would have been late 60s/early 70s.

Hi De Hi I know that bridge very well. walked over it hundreds of times playing football on the Glebe playing fields. Us from Shard End called it the White Bridge.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1038 on: December 17, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »

Hi De Hi I know that bridge very well. walked over it hundreds of times playing football on the Glebe playing fields. Us from Shard End called it the White Bridge.

Not been down there for many years (probably at least 30). Did a stroll with google street view. I couldn't believe how built up it is now and with a proper brick bridge. The footpath to the Glebe was still there though.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1039 on: December 17, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »
In 49 we were offered the first house after the bridge in Cole hall Lane on the right but moved to Easthope Rd instead

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1040 on: December 18, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
Hi De Hi.did you ever go Scrumping at the sewage farm.Lovely big pears in September but hard as iron to eat ;D

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1041 on: December 18, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Hi De Hi.did you ever go Scrumping at the sewage farm.Lovely big pears in September but hard as iron to eat ;D

No, never went scrumping, well not there anyway :D

mw0njm

« Reply #1042 on: January 05, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi Johncee,I lived in the castle brom end of shard end , in school lane, and remember all the things you do, Dr Nitkze and Mrs Edwards the housekeeper, Mantons , wildes in the little cottage, by Mantons there was the butchers , upstairs hairdressers , next door little grocers and at the end the chemists, wildes was further up school lane , going more to shard end up to the bus stop 55 , castle brom end you could get the midland red I to town, and that awful zebra crossing on the Chester road that so many people lost their lives , and across was the coach and horses pub, yes I was there in the 50's what else can you remember , ? 😀
i too lived there i lived in pencroft  that crossing i had a bad smash there in1971,hit by a drunk driver who ran off

townie

« Reply #1043 on: January 05, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
Pete if you lived in Pencroft road did you know the Mossop's?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

davesd1

« Reply #1044 on: January 05, 2019, 09:54:58 PM »

Does anyone remember the coach crashing through the living room of the first property,next to Mantons the newsagents.Think the occupant survived because they had gone to bed.
Can't remember the year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy