Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316713 times)

townie

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1045 on: January 05, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
Dave where was Mantons newsagents?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

davesd1

« Reply #1046 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »

townie,if you looked across the Bradford Road opposite the Green,their was a row of shops.If memory serves, from left to right,Pickerings the chemist,Lentons the butchers,greengrocers,bookies and then Mantons the newsagents.
The house involving the coach,was the first property as you turned left into School Lane past Mantons. 

townie

« Reply #1047 on: January 07, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
townie,if you looked across the Bradford Road opposite the Green,their was a row of shops.If memory serves, from left to right,Pickerings the chemist,Lentons the butchers,greengrocers,bookies and then Mantons the newsagents.
The house involving the coach,was the first property as you turned left into School Lane past Mantons.

Thanks Dave I know where your talking about now. Cant remember the coach crash though. There was a barbers there and me and my mate were I think the first in Shard End to have a skin head it was that new my mates mom and dad kept him in until his hair grew. 

davesd1

« Reply #1048 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »

I remember the barbers,forgot to add to the list.Their was a doorway between the chemist and butchers which led upstairs to a ladies hairdressers on the left,and the barbers on the right.
The barber's shop was called Lens.I think he died around 1970 and I don't remember it opening again.When the Pickerings left the chemist,it later became Sonic helmets who supplied motorcycle helmets with microphones.
Anne diamond did a feature on them for the local news.
I can't find anything on the coach crash as yet,but i'll keep looking.

townie

« Reply #1049 on: January 08, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
You are right the barbers was upstairs. I have looked for the coach crash as well and can't find anything either. I worked at the shop come cottage just a few doors down in the 60s as a paper boy and still don't remember a thing.

davesd1

« Reply #1050 on: January 09, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »
Was that Jeans you delivered papers for,also,didn't she sell individual fags and books of matches?

townie

« Reply #1051 on: January 09, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
Was that Jeans you delivered papers for,also,didn't she sell individual fags and books of matches?

That's the one Dave. One Park Drive tipped and a match for the paper round.

mw0njm

« Reply #1052 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »
i too lived there i lived in pencroft  that crossing i had a bad smash there in1971,hit by a drunk driver who ran off
  yer i remember them they moved to tamworth

mw0njm

« Reply #1053 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »
townie, that was probably Sid Dennis, and definitely not to be answered back if you wanted to get out alive, I think he used to do a bit of PE too.

Now that I have woken up my brain bit,  the name of the other English teacher that I could not remember earlier has come back to me, it was Mr Turnbull
i only went to night school there i remember alun graham well.

mw0njm

« Reply #1054 on: January 14, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
Hi Ian did Billy Ratccliff have sister called Lesley?
the bubs were not rough it was the people lol

townie

« Reply #1055 on: January 14, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »

mw0njm  I remember Mr Graham very well a big man taught Metalwork.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy