Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316163 times)

townie

Re: Shard End
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »
This was not meant as a reflection on the huge knowledge of Phil.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Dennis

As Blane says I went by the caption that came with the photo. It would be foolish of me to clain that I knew every area of Birmingham well. In fact some areas like in fact Shard End I know very little about. In cases like this I have to be guided by whatever information comes with the photo. So I am always glad of feedback when that information is wrong and I can correct it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
Hi Phil with your emence knowwledge of birmingham and extensive library do you have a photo of either Alderlea boys school or Timberley junior school both of Shard End.I have looked everwhere but unable to find.
Thanks Dennis.

townie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »
Don't know if there are any poeple on  this forum from Shard End if there are does anybody remember Jeff Lynne at school or the Bobcats now you've got to think.

townie

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
Hi Phil How we doing with them photos. I'm determined to get Shard End back on the map. ( Getting desperate )
Thanks Dennis.

Dave Wallace

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Re: The British Legion....This photo is in fact the original legion building in Hurst lane. Next to it you can see the R.E.M.E camp, that was also in Hurst lane, with the Guardhouse next to the Legion. To the right, lower you can see the Rd curve, that's where Brownfield Rd starts, and where the boys club was built. I lived in Longmeadow Crescent from 1952. This location was at the end of our Rd, and I remember it very well. I too attended Alderlea boys school, and still have my "Leaving Certificate" dated 13th April 1962.

....When we first moved to Shard End from Heneage St, the bus from town only went to Lea Village, ( No 14, I think ). We had to walk up Packington Ave, past the quarry ( Now the Norman Chamberlain park ) to get home. After a while the 55 bus ran from "Old Square" to it's terminus at what became "The Harlequin". Later the terminus moved to the corner of Hurst Ln/Packington Ave/Freasley Rd, before moving once again to the corner of Longmeadow Crescent/Kitsland Rd, ( Very convenient for me ).
Shard End was actually planned before the war, with the intention of heating the houses with the "Waste heat" from Hams Hall power station. This, of course never happened, and in fact the whole project was shelved due to the war.

Pam1511

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
I lived in Shard End from 1953 and attended Timberley school,would love to see some pictures of the school is anyone has any.I lived in Hurst Lane,the 55 bus terminus at the corner of the road and the army barracks facing my house.I used to go dancing on a friday night to the Guardian Angels school hall.My husband went to Alderlea boys school.

townie

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
Hi Dave. Nice to see i am not the only one on this forum from Shard End you have put me right on the boys club thanks. I moved to Shard end in 59/60. From your years you must have gone to school with Jeff Lynne can you remember him. I can't, although he must have still been in Shard End when i was there. Somewhere on this internet are some photos of  Alderlea school about the time you attended but i cant find them now.Reading what you wrote about the 55 bus (non existant) you must have walked over the old wooden bailey bridge from Lea village. If you so do you remember the pipe that used to run along side. When we were kids we tried to cross the Cole by that, but i don't think anybody ever managed it.   

townie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
Hi Pam. Nice to hear from you. I moved from the Shard end shops to Milsom Grove which used to be the old army barracks off Hurst lane .I had a friend who lived oppersite the 55 teminus in Hurst lane/ Packington avenue ( David Brown ) don't know if you remember him I was at Alderlea from 65/69 don't know if you husband was there then..

Dave Wallace

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
Hi Dennis.  Yes, we did walk over the bailey bridge from Lea village, and yes I remember that sewage pipe.  I don't know anyone that dared to walk across it.  Jeff Lynne was  a couple of years below me at Alderlea, but I knew him well, as I was involved with a lot of the Shard End groups ( Bands ) at that time.  In fact I stayed in that business most of my working life, ending up having my own afternoon radio show in America.
I was sent a booklet when I lived in San Antonio Texas.  It seems that there was a big reunion at the Legion for the "Old Boys, and Old Girls from Alderlea school, and Longmeadow Girls School".  In this booklet there was a photo of Alderlea Boys (A copy, of a copy by the look of it.  Not very good quality ).  Anyway, If I can find it I'll put it up on this forum for you.
I have now retired, and have returned to England.  I live in Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield now, but I keep meaning to go to Shard End for a look at the old place.  I hope I won't be disappointed.

townie

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »
Hi dave Don't want to put a damper on your return, but there is no Alderlea. No Long Meadow. No Yorks wood. No Kitsland shops, Shard End shops all gone and the only pub left standing is the Trident.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy