Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316780 times)

teegee

Re: Shard End
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
Days did sell fishing tackle, we used to get our maggots from there and then on to Shard End lake. I used to live in Kitsland Rd and our Dr's were Dean and Wilkinson in Shard End Crescent. I was at school the same time as Jeff Lynne and I'm assuming wiseman, that you wore the same badge as us.

wiseman

« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Yes, and the same Doctors, l also went fishing tn the lake and Coleshill and Bodymoor heath. I also went to the community centre, Aylesford hall and Catholic church watching the band's. I was a quest at The police station in overnight accommodation.......
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

teegee

« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
I did all that except for the church and the police station (not overnight anyway). I used to love fishing Bodymoor Heath when it was the quarries, it was much better than it is now. Had some good days at Coleshill as well.

Terry

wiseman

« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
Sounds like are paths may have crossed, If you don't mind me asking, what is you name and list your mates from Shard End.

Bob Henderson.

teegee

« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
Bob, sorry I cant remember your name. I have sent you a private message.

wiseman

« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Thanks Terry, get back to you later.

townie

« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
Hi dave nice to see you back again. Hope the band is doing well.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

once of shardend

« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
 Age 66 lived in shard end 1952 till 1969 brookmeadow rd .the 55 bus only ran to cole hall lane as the road from brookmeadow was not built, then it was extended to packington ave (the  harlequin) then to guardian angels  school, eventually to kingshurst over the years , I was also in the scout troop named guardian angels 189 went camping in yorkswood once when a big jambaree was on . by the way cows did graze in the fields at the back of brookmeadow rd right down to cole hall  as my brother and I use to collect the manure for the old mans garden we use to play over the fields al the time rope on a tree swinging over the river fell in many a time also wt to the boys club regulary  visited other boys clubs in compertition aston manor etc alas when about 11we went to archbishop williams school so from then on generally lost contact with lads from our street who mainly went to alderlea , knocked about withmates from archies , len bertie lillington grove kevin king brownfield road  kenny smart and jimmy oleary peter thomas lived at 400 packington ave , remember doctor deans , and the only shop in early 50s was a co op shop by the raven .later years played football for the cheshire cat and packhorse  hopethis helps

teegee

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
Age 66 lived in shard end 1952 till 1969 brookmeadow rd .the 55 bus only ran to cole hall lane as the road from brookmeadow was not built, then it was extended to packington ave (the  harlequin) then to guardian angels  school, eventually to kingshurst over the years , I was also in the scout troop named guardian angels 189 went camping in yorkswood once when a big jambaree was on . by the way cows did graze in the fields at the back of brookmeadow rd right down to cole hall  as my brother and I use to collect the manure for the old mans garden we use to play over the fields al the time rope on a tree swinging over the river fell in many a time also wt to the boys club regulary  visited other boys clubs in compertition aston manor etc alas when about 11we went to archbishop williams school so from then on generally lost contact with lads from our street who mainly went to alderlea , knocked about withmates from archies , len bertie lillington grove kevin king brownfield road  kenny smart and jimmy oleary peter thomas lived at 400 packington ave , remember doctor deans , and the only shop in early 50s was a co op shop by the raven .later years played football for the cheshire cat and packhorse  hopethis helps

Hello there, I used to live at the other end of Shard End but I did have an aunt who lived in Hartshill Rd, that was by Brookmeadow Rd was'nt it? I used to know a girl that lived in Brookmeadow, one of the houses that backed onto the fields near the river, can't remember her name though. Heres a pic of the co-op you mentioned, it was taken by Birmingham Surveyors Dept. They must have been planning to do something.
Terry

townie

« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »
The photo of the coop was that opposite the raven pub, and did the 55 stop outside?   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

once of shardend

« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Hello teegee yes thats the shop by the raven , and yes the 55 bus did stop there , my brother and I use to knockaround with some lads from brookmeadow  can remember johnny stanton  and his twin brothers also barry parklow and dennis duggan cant remember the rest , richard and eddie thompson lived next door to us and they went to alderle school. If you go up brookmeadow rd from colehall lane on your right is a green  we played cricket and football on there we lived at number 84  .had a great time cycling evewhere (from made up bikes) what about the made up go carts as well nobody in those days had a lot of money so we improvised , in the summer hols out from 9am till dark nobody worried , went scrumping dont forget the conkers from the blue bell woods , putting dobbin on the case ball and conkers went in bottom draw to toughen them made dens in the field out of anything we found , yes great childhood alas only memories left  re once a sharde

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy