Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316159 times)

teegee

Re: Shard End
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
Hi TeeGee Can you remember the secretarys  name the only woman in the school, looked like a horse but at 13 in them days she was like Reese Witherspoon and she always made a point of walking through the changing rooms when the 4th year were in there.

Sorry,I haven't a clue. I can't remember any women at all, though there must have been at least one. Another teacher just came to mind, and that was Mr John, I think he may have been a PE teacher. I can remember the teacher who taught us RE, but not his name. We used to fall asleep during that lesson, so boring.

Terry

townie

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:11 PM »
Hi Was his name Mr English
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

teegee

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 08:42:29 AM »
Hi Was his name Mr English

Sorry, I haven't a clue.

townie

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
TeeGee Can you remember the shard end shops? Can you name the origanal shops.These are the shops i remember. Start from one end. ( Outdoor, Stairs to flats, Fishshop, Masons Supermarket, Wool shop, Cafe , Kendricks newsagents, Fruit and veg shop, Stairs to flats, Shoe Shop  Cake Shop, Keans sweet shop, Elecetric Shop, Stairs to flats  Chemist, Co-op Dry Cleaners, Co Op Butchers, Co op Supermarket., Mens Cloths Shop, Hardwear shop with post office, Ladies hair dressers Mens hairdressers,)     

teegee

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
Not really as I never had much reason to go up there very often, one shop I do remember and it may have been next to the newsagent was a little grocery store called Rotes. Well, the Rotes owned it but it may have been called something else. The reason I remember this shop is my first wife worked there after she left school. The other shop I remember well is the hardware shop that was round the corner in Ownall Rd. The reason I remember it is because I used to do a lot of fishing and I fished the lake in Pithall Rd a lot. At that time, and I was at school then, the lake was fenced off, and to fish it you had to get a key from the aforementioned hardware shop, 10/- or a £1, not quite sure, and that may have included a deposit for the key. The fishing rights were held by The Bulls Head angling club, the one in Stechford I'm on about but they allowed you to buy a days permit. I had some good days fishing there, but if you was'nt careful you could easily fall in as the banks were quite steep at that time, probably why it was fenced off. I did hear stories of how at least one child fell in and drowned, but they were stories and not based on fact, but who knows. Another story I heard was that the old army camp that used to be in Hurst Lane dumped a couple of unwanted tanks in the lake, but again, just a story.

Terry

val h

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
enjoyed reading your posts on shard end. We moved to brookmeadow road in 1951 and then to Freasley road in 1960,  I remember Dave wallace very well, although he would'nt remember me, my nephew Keith lives in his old house in longmeadow cres. Keith's mum still lives in the house opposite.

teegee

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
Hi Val, I walked up Freasley Rd a few times on my way to Hillstone School. Did you know Raymond Tongue, an old mate of mine who lived in Freasley Rd? I think Paul Smith who went on to play Benny in crossroads lived in Freasley as well.

Terry

val h

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi Terry,  yes I knew Ray, unfortunately he passed way recently,  and Paul's mum still lives in Freasley Road.   I lived 2 houses down from Combrook Green.     Val

teegee

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
Yes I know, I was at his funeral. I used to see him regularly at the Labour Club when we played them at dominoe's. You lived by my cousins then, they lived in Nearmoor Rd right behind you. They were named Clinton.

Terry

townie

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Hi Tee Gee I remember a Roger Tongue lived in the flats in Shard way is this the same person.

townie

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Tee Gee Where about did you live in Shard End.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy