Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316165 times)

townie

Re: Shard End
« Reply #957 on: December 28, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
I see the last pub in Shard End The Trident is up for sale. Good luck with that.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Shard end Sean

« Reply #958 on: January 02, 2018, 05:58:24 PM »
Hi Townie Happy New year to you and to the rest of the forum members.  I used the Trident for a few years it was a nice pub in the 70s. .We lost another Shard end lad last week Johnny Kilroy 69 I was best man at his 1st wedding . there were a few off the estate at the funeral, Sammy Service , Dave & Billy Gleeson . Alan Nichols, Barry Smith, one of the Mylon girls and one of the Kinsellas. H.N.Y

townie

« Reply #959 on: January 02, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »

Hi Townie Happy New year to you and to the rest of the forum members.  I used the Trident for a few years it was a nice pub in the 70s. .We lost another Shard end lad last week Johnny Kilroy 69 I was best man at his 1st wedding . there were a few off the estate at the funeral, Sammy Service , Dave & Billy Gleeson . Alan Nichols, Barry Smith, one of the Mylon girls and one of the Kinsellas. H.N.Y

Hi Sean Happy New Year to you to. Sorry to hear that about Johnny, I not sure if I knew him but I remember Dave Gleeson, Barry Smith. The Kinsellas. All the years I knew Dave i didn't know that he had a brother Billy. My dad played for the Trident domino team that would have been in the 70s.   

townie

« Reply #960 on: January 20, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »

Hi Mo Stevens , it's good to hear from a shard end girl , Pat Downes is my sister in law , there was a gang of us all hung around the chip shop in shard end Susan Hook Shirley White , I actually went out with Sandra Rhodes for a few years . The bailey bridge was also a meeting spot , racing the cars over so you didn't get your ears blown apart with the noise of the wooden battons. I actually went for a ride around shard end today on a nostalgic trip . There are certain roads that still seem to be the same as when we were kids. Hope  you are keeping well .

Sean if this is the same Sandra Rhodes you went out with she was my next door neighbour. She would have lived at No 30 Ownal Road on top of the shops. I must have seen you in the past if you went to her house. Sorry Sean I've got my Sanders mixed up. it was Sandra Barrett who lived next door but I did know a Sandra Rhodes.

Shard end Sean

« Reply #961 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
Hi Townie, do you remember Charles Bragg the bread and cake shops there was one opposite the Harlequin, well the main bakery was in Alum Rock and over the years it was cleaned every Saturday morning by The Shard  End lads  , Johnny Kilroy (who recently died) was the first person to start cleaning the kitchens when he was about 15 I believe , other names were Barry Smith ,Dave  Wallace , Danny Mgrath and myself Sean Willis ,there was a few more but can't remember the names . We got paid £1.10s we used to go over the Rock pub and have a beer or two and then off to watch the blues . Good days eh  O0

townie

« Reply #962 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Hi Sean I remember Charles Braggs very well as I lived above the shops. didn't work there but definitely shopped there. Sean, Barry Smith certainly rings a bell think he was a in the 4th year when I was forced to Alderlea that would be 65.    O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »
Charles Bragg was also at the Glebe used it quit lot
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Manfred

« Reply #964 on: January 26, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
Hello,
I am a new member of this Forum. In 1961 I had a pen-friend in Longmeadow Crescent Birmingham. His name was David Wallace. I remembered him when I searched for a book he sent me in the sixties as a present. It was the Observers Book of Birds. He also sent me a photo of his family and a photo of his school. Next Sunday my wife and me will go to Norfolk visiting a couple who invited us for a short holiday near the cost where we hope to find a place for bird watching.
When I googled Davids name I found him in this forum and I hope he will read my message. I would like to hear what happened with him the last years and if he will remember me.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #965 on: January 26, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Hi Manfred

Welcome to you, I have just looked through our membership list and can find no member with the user name David Wallace unless he is using another user name then he can't be a current member of the forum. If you know of another user name or can point to a post that he has made then it might be possible to help you contact him.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Shard end Sean

« Reply #966 on: January 26, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Hi Townie, Barry Smith didn't go to  Auldely school he went to tile cross as did Dave Wallace . The Dave Wallace that was  mentioned earlier on in this forum was the Dave Wallace that played in the Andycaps group ! The Dave Wallace I drink with lived in Timberly lane just by the school entrance ,there is too many people with same name about LOL,  O0

Shard end Sean

« Reply #967 on: January 26, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
Hi it's me again , thinking about it I think they Andicaps Dave was ,Dave Watson not Wallace  :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy