Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316741 times)

townie

Shard End
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
Shard End built around the fifties on farm fields .The shops, The schools, The clubs anythink else you can remember.Shops The cow fields,, The White Bridge. Bailey bridge  Shard End was brilliant place to grow up in th 50s 60s 70s what do you think.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Shard End
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
Dennis

As requested the photo of The Harlequin, plus another couple of memory jerker's that you might recognise. If there is any photo that you want specifically just ask and I may be able to locate one foe you,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
Hi Phil Great photos The first i know very well,grew up with ,drank there and worked there. The second brings back some very good memories but very hurtfull memories but who cared them days, i have smashed my head off that concrete tunnel many times .The third i can't remember the only place i can think of,,is that these shops were the back of the new shops. that were built in 1960s hope someone can add a bit more  De you have a photo of the old bailey bridge, when it was wooden.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
Dennis
Sorry but I have no copy of a photo of the old Baily Bridge in my files, to be honest I thought that I had I'll have to take a look through my back ups and hard copies to see if I can come up with anything.

As far as I understand it the shops on the photo were the temporary structures that were built on Shard End Crescent whilst they were awaiting the shops in this photo to be built, as far as I can see those shops have now been replaced as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Thanks Phil Those shops continued round the bend into Ownal road where i grew up. Our house was on top of the Co Op Butchers. And yes i think they have all gone now. but they can't take away memories. 

townie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
It's a shame you cant put names to faces those kids sitting on the tree i probably went to school with

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
Dennis

A couple of the pubs that you asked for, TheTwo Hands & The Heathway and I thought you might like to see The British Legion Club on Brownfield Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
Phil. Great photos thanks. I am not sure that this is the legion club  I think its the boys club

townie

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
Roy Ben where are you.

gibson

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Dennis, Its unlike Phil to get it wrong, but I believe he went by the caption on the photo, when he said that the club in the picture, was of Shard End British Legion, It certainly does appear to be the boys club in Brownfield Road, The entrance to the British Legion is in Hurst Lane, and goes around the corner into Brownfield Road,   But thanks Phil, for all the pictures that you put onto the forum.

townie

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Yes its got to be the boys club i was a member there for years and my school was next to it Alderlea boys school 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy