Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316715 times)

townie

Re: Shard End
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Hi do you know what year this was, as I can recall a road running from the corner of the shop up to the Hunters Moon. The photo does not show the road. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

once of shardend

« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »
Hello. The road leading towards the hunters moon across the road from the raven pub I think was called                fowey rd , the picture must be somewhere about 1954 to 1958 as I remember going shopping with my mom and having to walk back with the groceries , does anybody remember the hunters moon when it went neon ie  neon lights in the dance room that was about 1966 i was on christmas leave from the navy (merchant navy) I took my girlfriend there (future wife) and you could see through all the girls dresses , and any dandruff  you had on you (bloody stupid idea ) remember climbing the pimple hill (now castle vale) going on the boats in ward end park , by the way the pubs in those days 1960s were quite respectful the raven was a nice pub so was the packhorse when first opened in fact the landlord of the raven moved to the packhorse and was the first gaffa when it opened his name was danny o'kane , but that was the hayday of the pubs as you know they are now out of fashion and customers .  Hope this helps cheers

townie

« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
I remember the discos in the Hunters Moon and the topless barmaids on a Sunday afternoon great days.   

teegee

« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
I have drank in all the pubs that was on Shard End, either domino or dart matches or just socially. Never once did I have any problems in any of them, though there was the odd fight on occasion but nothing serious. It was from the early to mid 80's that I started using pubs further afield. As for the Hunters Moon I only went in there 3 or 4 times, it was'nt my scene to be honest. By the way the road leading from the shop to the Hunters is Bucklands End Lane, I think Fowey Rd is the next one down.
Terry

wightmouse

Re: Shard End timberley school
« Reply #301 on: February 07, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
Hi, I was just tidying my e mail folders and came across an e mail from the forum , which, I normally use for family history info., and the first topic was Shard End. Having lived there from Feb 1952 I thought Iwould have a quick look.
A while ago someone asked for pics of Timberley School. This is a scan from The Castle Bromwhich Advertiser dated 6 Feb 1956 and was, I think the christmas play albeit a little late.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
Hi Whightmouse

Welcome to you, I've tidied your photo up a little for you, in case anybody wants to save a copy.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wightmouse

« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the housekeeping
Keith

TheaDylan28

« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
 ;) Lived in Shard End Crescent from 1952 for nearly twenty years .
At school with Jeff Lynne . A very nice , quiet lad at school . Very artistic .
I lived not far from the Bailey Bridge .
Remember the Locke's , the Bench's , the Hughes's , the Davis's , the Pratt's , the Stych's , the Jordan's , the Stephen's , the Holland's , the George's , the Paling's , the Parker's, the Worth's , the Fisher's , the Milne's , the Emms's , the Houghton's and UTC and all .
Remember good chums from Bradley Road who were at Timberley with me like Johnny Hill , Melvyn Hall , Geoff Commander , Hazel Jones , Dave Yardley , John Ellis and Robert Ellis .
Someone on the forum mentioned a man that used to run the Boys Club at All Saints Church - his name was Ken Gallimore , a wonderful man who with his wife Mildred did a fantastic job to keep us off the streets .
Good memories .
I have photos somewhere of the Coronation in the back field behind numbers 22 to 28 Shard End Crescent . I will find them out .
Does anyone remember any of these people ?

townie

« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »
Hi TheaDylan I remember some of the names you have mentioned Christine Bench, Michael Stych's , Cant remember first name of Holland's .
Remember good chums from Bradley Road who were at Timberley with me like John Ellis I think he was in my class at Alderlea It takes a long time for my posts to get authorised, so in the mean time I will think of others you may know.

TheaDylan28

« Reply #306 on: March 26, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
Alderlea pupils that I remember were John and Robert Ellis , Graham and David Stych , Alan Pratt , Keith and Terry George , Stephen Davis , Derek Houghton and John Paling ;)

townie

« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
What year was you at Alderlea?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy