Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316786 times)

countrylad

Re: Shard End
« Reply #913 on: September 25, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »
I was very good friends with Kevin Smythe all through school he lived in the flats on Packington Avenue overlooking the lake. I spoke to him a couple of years ago on another social network. We both went to the Co-op in town think it was in High Street for interviews while in the 4th year about to leave. Kevin went for a Butcher and I went for a Milkman we both got the jobs, saying that anyone could get a job in them days.
townie, there did seem to be loads of jobs then. Trouble was I didn't think I was clever enough to do most of them and wasn't really interested in office or factory, preferred outside work. When I went to the youth employment office at Kingshurst, they had trays full of jobs. The thing is we weren't that fussy in the end, we were expected to go out to work, hand some cash over for our board and lodging to mom and basically get on with it.

townie

« Reply #914 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
countrylad some of the names you have mentioned I remember  Terry Batham think he lived in Shard End Crescent used to go to the Timberley Friday night disco, John Reynolds think he lived in Bradley Road wasn't he a druggie always wore a black hat over one side of his face where someone had through acid over him, Garry Newman the name rings a bell.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #915 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »
When I was leaving school our youth employment was at Burnley Lane on top of the hill.

countrylad

« Reply #916 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
countrylad some of the names you have mentioned I remember  Terry Batham think he lived in Shard End Crescent used to go to the Timberley Friday night disco, John Reynolds think he lived in Bradley Road wasn't he a druggie always wore a black hat over one side of his face where someone had through acid over him, Garry Newman the name rings a bell.
towni, from what I remember of Terry would have been at the disco in his Crombie, 501's and his doc's. I'm not sure what happened to john. I do remember though one day I walked in he classroom and John was jumping up and down on my rucksack and kicking it about, to this day I don't know why, perhaps he was a troubled young man. Terry saw what was going on, picked up my rucksack and passed it over to me. I think the other John Reynolds died about ten or so years ago.

Garry was a good lad at school, not very big and strong. He then went to work on the roads, and what a difference, Garry had muscles on his muscles.....

countrylad

« Reply #917 on: September 25, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
When I was leaving school our youth employment was at Burnley Lane on top of the hill.
That's it Burnly Lane, I always remember the teachers telling the class that that's where we would end up or Chertywood Road. Was this the dole office?

townie

« Reply #918 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »

That's it Burnly Lane, I always remember the teachers telling the class that that's where we would end up or Chertywood Road. Was this the dole office?

Do you mean Cherrywood road think it was in a school. I had to go there every Saturday afternoon can't remember for how long and I can't remember why I had to go. It must have had something to do with discipline. Which John Reynolds died I only remember the one that I have wrote about.

countrylad

« Reply #919 on: September 25, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »

Do you mean Cherrywood road think it was in a school. I had to go there every Saturday afternoon can't remember for how long and I can't remember why I had to go. It must have had something to do with discipline. Which John Reynolds died I only remember the one that I have wrote about.
That fits. We were an unruly bunch so to be sent there for discipline sounds right. John Reynolds that died didn't have an older brother in the school. You mentioned a black hat, the one that died used to have his hair covering one side of his face in school. That may have been hiding something. I think he was in our year or year above.

townie

« Reply #920 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
He would have been in your year and he must be the same one any idea how he died?

countrylad

« Reply #921 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »

A few other names that have come back to me, Martin Fawkes, Terry Partlow, Desmond Couples, Phil Spiers, Stephen Smith, Mike Roberts ( he may have been in your year) emigrated to Australia. The Head Boy in 68/69 was he called Winkette? David Powell.

townie

« Reply #922 on: September 25, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
The only one that rings a bell was Desmond Couples, as for head boys and prefects nothing but teachers pets. countrylad what was your local when old enough?  ;D   Also I think in your year was the only coloured kid in the school Godfrey Brown lived in the home in Hurst Lane.   

countrylad

« Reply #923 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »
Agree, they were teachers pets and had their own door. You know, back then the privileged few! I remember Godfrey Brown, he was year above me. Derek Douglas black lad in my class great kid. Then in about 1970 we had a black lad join called Loxey Roberts, nice lad just arrived from Africa, we had snow one day I remember talking to him about it, never seen snow before.

For me Alderlea was a very old fashioned school to what I wad used to, Only used surnames and was all boys. You were looked after if you were academic or good at sport. I wasn't any of those so struggled to survive but caught up eventually .

When I was old enough, I used the friendly Inn on Chelmsley Wood, the Malt House Tilecross and Kingshurst labour club on Saturday afternoons or the rover club with work mates also Saturday afternoons

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy