Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 150731 times)

countrylad

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1023 on: May 06, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
Hi Gill55, the only names I can remember were the Sargents and Middletons. I think we lived at 17 Williston Rd. Did you ever use the Petrol Garage the one nearest the tunnel by Lucas. A friend of mine worked there, early 70's as the Mechanic, ex army Irish guy, Bill. He got me my first job at Cooks Lane Garage in 71.
countrylad
I had a look on Google last night. It looks like I lived in number 16. The house still looks the same. Only now there is a door on the entry to the back yards that ran between the houses.

The houses across the road have been demolished, with new property's erected. The old houses must have been about 70 years old.
countrylad

Gill55

« Reply #1024 on: May 06, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »

Countrylad, you must have lived next door but one to the Davis family.  I remember a Middleton family from School Lane Castle Bromwich but not Sheldon.  While I was studying for my O and A levels from 1971-74 I worked at the Esso Station opposite my house on the corner of the Radleys and Mackadown lane.

countrylad

« Reply #1025 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Hello Gill55
 We are drifting a bit off topic with our post as we are under ShardEnd topic. I'll type a response under The Hay Mills, Sheldon and Yardley topic.
countrylad

Gill55

« Reply #1026 on: May 06, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
Good thinking.  I will look on the Sheldon site for the years I lived there!

wedgie

« Reply #1027 on: May 15, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
does anybody have any information regarding the wood work class at Alderlea boys school. I remember the wood work class making there own canoes and paddling across the English channel.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Henry

townie

« Reply #1028 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
When I was there I think the woodwork teacher was a welsh chap named Davis a really nice chap. I remember the canoes but don't know anything about crossing the channel. What year are we talking?  I wouldn't have crossed the Cole in anything made at Alderlea never mind the channel.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

countrylad

« Reply #1029 on: May 16, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »
I can remember Mr Bottly and Mr Thick as the woodwork teachers. I remember the canoes made of plywood hanging from the ceiling. One lad in my class made one. Some of the kids at Alderlea made some good stuff.
This is not sour grapes but it was the kids that were talented or had the aptitude for this type of things that did the more interesting stuff. I don't recall much nurturing for the slower but interested lads like me and a few others, so I just skipped off school.

I remember some newspaper cutting on the classroom wall about the channel, probably evening mail, late 60's
countrylad