Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 316813 times)

BIRMINGHAMBOY

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1078 on: February 27, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
Hi jillesk , thank you for your reply colin marsden was in my class at Alderlea for I think the first 2 or 3 years not sure if he then left don't think he was there in 69 don't remember him during our last year. How old is Ian was he there between 70 -78 remember ian phillips  always in the metal work room with his mate butler I think Pete used to live in gorsefield road just off shard end shops if I remember think he had a younger sister, have no idea where he is now think he left the area to go uni or teaching thank you for your reply hope to hear from you soon ps  never had any dealings with pimple hill or lady bradfords  I gather these places were local kids hangouts, im a Saltley lad cheers. Ps again remember another Ian think his surname was Patrick or McPatrick he came to my tech drawing class at night school was into the group supertramp  loaned me their new album at that time

mw0njm

« Reply #1079 on: March 07, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »
it sure was i loved playing on the cow fields. then when i was older using my scrambler m/bike there.

townie

« Reply #1080 on: March 07, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
it sure was i loved playing on the cow fields. then when i was older using my scrambler m/bike there.

If I remember right we used to have a bike think it was a Cotton but cant remember the engine size. We had great fun over the cow fields and nobody ever bothered us.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1081 on: March 07, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
Hi townie , sorry have just seen your reply, yes Graham Fazackerly was in my class I remember he had a bad knee damaged cartilage I think that affected PE and sport he was a laugh and a good kid Johnny Deakin wasn't in my class but he was mates with Pete French and we all played football together he wasn't very tall sorry Johnny I hope he wont take offence at that if he reads this and I cant remember him being enthusiastic when it came to the high jump mind you I don't think any of us were keen. Ended up at Alderlea after failing 11 plus was expected by my junior school teachers at st saviours school saltley  to go to Saltley Grammar but alas it wasn't to be and the sec modern options for my area didn't appeal so me and my mate Pete Collin went to an open day at Alderlea  and as soon as we looked at the school and the playing field it was a no brainer and I signed up for 5 years as did Pete so we used to bus it every day to Shard End on the 55 or 55J  Ps we had kids from Lea Village join our class maybe in year 3 or 4 Micheal Mulchay I remember he lived close to my nan in passfield road Yardley Cheers . Ps again Paul Osman rings a bell from Lea Village

townie

« Reply #1082 on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:04 PM »
BIRMINGHAMBOY It was when I was in year 3 that would have been 67,68, that the Lea Village kids joined our school. I was either in 3B1 or 3B2 never hit the highlights of A classes. Some of the kids I can remember in my class were John Ellis, Michael Stych, Keith Williams, Clive Alexander there were lots more but cant remember at this moment. I put more names on one of the pages.

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1083 on: March 13, 2019, 07:46:06 PM »
Hi townie, sorry didn't get back to you have been away for a few days up near Warwick visiting a few national trust houses, yes I think it was around the same time during 67- 68 what house were you in at Alderlea I probably might remember you, who took you for craft, some of the names you mentioned ring a bell but I cant put a face to them . I kept my place in the A stream all through the 5 years Eddie Birch was our form master in 3a1 and we were based in the Geog room at the end of the first floor just past the teachers rest room  where they all met at dinner and break times . I remember a Graham Rogers was in 3B1 0r 3B2 but he left and went to Kingshurst he was a Saltley lad did you play any sports at Alderlea.

townie

« Reply #1084 on: March 13, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Hi BIRMINGHAMBOY. Ill try and answer as many questions as I can. I was in Tudor house. If ive got it right there was Tudor, Stuart, York and Lancaster, hope I haven't got them mixed up with somewhere else ive been. I only done metalwork and Graham was the teacher. I done all sports at Alderlea anything to get out the classroom. I loved Rugby only because Mr Davis let us smoke on the coach. Have I got it right your first year was on the top floor, 2nd and 3rd year 2nd floor and thank god 4th year ground floor?   

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:13 PM »
Hi townie thanks for the reply, you are correct about the houses at Alderlea  if I remember rugby came late to the school the main sports were football cricket basket ball and gymnastics football was with Ion Williams and Eddie Birch cricket was with Tom Alderson and Stan Botley after Mr Alderson left Eddie Birch stepped in basket ball was with Sid Denis Nigel Clements and the main PE teacher who's name I should remember but have forgotten  and it was also this teacher who looked after gymnastics until he left during our 3rd year and Mr Clements took over. With regards to our form rooms 1A1 Ken Silvester top floor next to Library 2A1 John Edge 1st floor next to Art rooms 3A1 Eddie Birch first floor Geography room 4A1 - 5A1  Derek Hambleton 1st floor Physics Lab. Was it Mr E Davis Biology or N Davis Chemistry that took you for Rugby I remember they were both welsh and were very fond of the sport. Thanks for reviving a few brain cells . We were probably at school the same time cheer's  do you remember the petrol station over the road from Alderpitts Road this is where we used to stock up on sweets and crisps from their shop before Alan Graham introduced the tuck shop in the shed in the playground. Did you do CSE metalwork with Mr Graham .Just remembered the PE teachers name it was Mr Kennedy

townie

« Reply #1086 on: March 15, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
BIRMINGHAMBOY Just a couple of things. The PE teacher I think was McNamara, The Petrol garage was on the corner on Brownfield Road and Hurst Lane opposite the boys club. You must have a very good memory to remember where all the classes were. As for CSE I was in the B steam and left in the 4th year, hope that tells you something LOL. Some of the teachers names you mention I do remember but not all.

John Read

« Reply #1087 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:46 PM »

I was at Alderlea from 1965 - 70.   Forms A1 to A5.  I recognise a few names on here.  I think it was Mr Kennedy the PE teacher who got the school onto the front page of the Evening Mail for making the wimpy kids run around the playing fields in their underpants and bare feet in the snow.
I was in the canoe club run by woodwork teacher Mr Thick.  I held the record for the quickest capsize.  About 1 second - straight through the ice on the river underneath Tamworth Castle.  (I still use an ottoman that I built in woodwork class and a shoe scraper from metalwork class !)

Some of my form masters were Mr Birch (geography)  Mr Silvester (English) Mr Edge (Maths ?)  Mr Reeves who always smelt of after shave.  Mr Degville (Tech Drwg)_ who we unkindly called gobstopper because of a lump on his cheek.  He always had squeaky shoes too - so we always knew when he was coming.

Mr Bleach (music) who gave me the cane for missing choir practice.  I'd gone home for my dinner !!!

There was a young teacher called Mr Arkless (science) who threatened to cane me for always calling him Mr Arkle - a famous horse at the time.  He thought I was doing it deliberately but I just kept confusing the names.

It's well known that Jeff Lynne went to Alderlea but fewer people know that Benny off Crossroads also went there.
There was also a group from the school called The Bobcats who appeared on Blue Peter. They gave a short concert in the school hall.

I remember when Francis Chichester got home after sailing around the world.  We were all taken out of lessons to watch his homecoming on TV in the hall.   Likewise for Prince Charles Investiture as Prince of Wales.

I used to go to the Boys Club on the corner of Brownfield Road and another one that was held in All Saints Church by Packington Avenue Shard End shops.

Where I'm sitting right now, overlooks the old playground.  Now a housing estate.  I've got photos of the school being demolished.  Very sad.   The garage on the corner of Brownfield Rd, with the sweet shop is also gone. Houses again.

With Alderlea Boys and Longmeadow Girls both gone, I wonder where local kids go to school now ?

townie

« Reply #1088 on: March 15, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Hi John I remember the names you mention especially Mr Arkless young chap just out of 6th form lol, and Gobstopper. I was in the hall when the Bobcats played, David Cowley one of the Bobcats was my mate and in my class. He used to live in a little cul-de-sac by Kitsland shops. He used to be on this forum but that was a few years ago. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy