Author Topic: Shard End  (Read 317792 times)

BIRMINGHAMBOY

Re: Shard End
« Reply #1100 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »
Cheers for the photos John and to you roy one for coloured photo it makes all the difference. Recognised some of the lads in your photos Robert Milne took over the school cricket captaincy from me in the 4th year went on to train with Warwicksire C C Club I believe, and John Brown sitting R Hand side in your canoe club photo he went back to work at Alderlea as the science technician and was succeded by Mr McEverly I worked with both of them before leaving to move down here in Devon in 1978 .Also the photo of Mr Roberts he was a good mate of Mr Merrill building teacher next to the tech drawing room they took us to Wales camping hill walking and sea canoeing but they used to follow us around in the evening to stop us getting into the pubs we were only 16 at the time sometimes they won but we used to split up to make it difficult for them happy memories. I am still trying to place you mate I should remember thanks again for posting the photos of Alderlea there's only a couple I've seen posted and those were from the opening day leaflet and the school isn't good keep posting it keeps my brain cells occupied many thank's .     

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1101 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
Ps John it was a regular venue for school photo's I have one with Eddie Birch when I was in 3a1 recognise that clock anywhere and the sports photo's were taken on the grass just outside the dining room and next to the gym

John Read

« Reply #1102 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47:47 PM »
 Thanks for the colour Roy.  That makes a big difference.  Nice one.

Yes I remember Robert Milne. He was an excellent cricketer.  He was a good mate.
He lived up by the Bailey Bridge on the River Cole.

John Brown and the guy in the middle of the front row were several years older than the rest of us so I didn’t know them too well.

There were regular trips to Wales -  Ogwen Cottage I think.   
The canoe club used to go climbing up Mounts Snowdonia and Tryfan  just for a change from canoing.
I was up Snowden recently (the mountain not the Lord.) climbing for Altzheimers research.

It seems that illicit drinking trips were a regular thing.  I nearly got expelled and I had my Prefects badge took off me after me and a few others were caught drinking in the Timberley Pub on the Chester Road.  (That’s gone now.)

What year were you in Form 3A1with Mr Birch ? That was my form. Probably 1968
I was there from 1965 to 1970.
I was a shy quiet kid. I spent a lot of time up in the library.  So not too surprising if you don’t remember me.

I remember the school football team got to the Final of  a major competition.
The game was played at Villa Park on the night in a huge thunder storm.
I think we lost.

I was  in Lancaster House football team.

Houses – Lancaster   -  Stuart    -   York  -   Tudor.

townie

« Reply #1103 on: March 18, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
John Have a look at page 62.  O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1104 on: March 18, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
Hi John our group went to Aberdovey think its changed its name now camping and canoeing in our 5th year after our exams I think, we walked up the Cader Idris lost the heel on my boot coming down didn't realise till I took them off in the tent. I must be a year older than you I was in 3a1 must be 1967 as I left in 69 started in 64. As I posted earlier we used the Two Hands for our dinner time sessions maybe twice a week if we could afford it i'm sure the landlord and regulars must have known but we were never turfed out they couldn't have known at school otherwise we would have felt Mr Reeves's cane. Remember the football at Villa park went to see that game it was the final of the Villa cup I think and yes we did loose. My house was Lancaster also with Vic Allen tech drawing and metalwork as our House master shame we weren't in the same year we would probably have played together keep posting Cheers.

mw0njm

« Reply #1105 on: March 18, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
Hi John our group went to Aberdovey think its changed its name now camping and canoeing in our 5th year after our exams I think, we walked up the Cader Idris lost the heel on my boot coming down didn't realise till I took them off in the tent. I must be a year older than you I was in 3a1 must be 1967 as I left in 69 started in 64. As I posted earlier we used the Two Hands for our dinner time sessions maybe twice a week if we could afford it i'm sure the landlord and regulars must have known but we were never turfed out they couldn't have known at school otherwise we would have felt Mr Reeves's cane. Remember the football at Villa park went to see that game it was the final of the Villa cup I think and yes we did loose. My house was Lancaster also with Vic Allen tech drawing and metalwork as our House master shame we weren't in the same year we would probably have played together keep posting Cheers.
i was down there last week. aberdyfi,aberdovey,it still is the same.as it was

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1106 on: March 18, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
Hi mwOnjm Don't think I could remember it all I remember was the wide open space and the seaside quite a change from growing up in Saltley who knows I might get there one day, the national trust has some great places to visit and now I am retired will be making good use of our membership. Cheers

mw0njm

« Reply #1107 on: March 18, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
Hi mwOnjm Don't think I could remember it all I remember was the wide open space and the seaside quite a change from growing up in Saltley who knows I might get there one day, the national trust has some great places to visit and now I am retired will be making good use of our membership. Cheers
yes it sure is a change from saltley. but i had more enjoyment in saltley.  i lived in shard end. before moving to the coast.it is a different way of life. its not far come and have a look. all the best.
regards pete

BIRMINGHAMBOY

« Reply #1108 on: March 18, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
Many thanks Pete like you I moved away from Birmingham in 1978 and now live in Paignton Devon , will try and visit Wales as I said there are many national trust places to visit hopefully sooner than later keep posting . I couldn't move back to Brum, but this and other sites remind me of where I grew up and I don't want to forget that's why I get so much pleasure out of people like yourself reflecting on their memories that keep Birmingham alive and kicking. Many Thanks Rich.

AlAn thorne

« Reply #1109 on: March 27, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Benny of crossroads name Paul smith wasin my class at school and i used to run round the school perimeter with him he was quite a good runner we left school in 1961

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1110 on: March 27, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Benny of crossroads name Paul smith wasin my class at school and i used to run round the school perimeter with him he was quite a good runner we left school in 1961

I thought Benny's real name was Paul Henry or was that just a stage name?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy