Author Topic: What sxhool did you go to?  (Read 27987 times)

Brummiejoy

Re: What sxhool did you go to?
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
As you say Phil St Annes was a Lunatic asylum at one stage. It was rumoured to have a tunnel leading all the way to Aston hall. No one has ever proved it though. They reckon the healthiest of kids come from that Street because of the gasworks!!! O0 Joy

Forth

« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »
First school I went to was Cranbourne Rd.Kingstanding.Started in early war years at four years and nine months old.Kids were being allowed to start three months early to free up their mothers for war work.At the same time for a short period the kids were only going to school for half a day.A few times just at school finishing time the air raid sirens went and instead of being at home in front of the fire (we still had coal at that time) having our tea (bread & jam) we were sat in a cold damp air raid shelter singing John Browns Body.Another incident I remember was when my friend and self were two of only seven children in the infants, to get to school this morning due to heavy snow.
    The headmistress at the time was Miss Poole a smallish white haired lady.

Graham K

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
Thanks for that Phil,,,lol  but that was'nt the reason we went there,
 Its a great pic, I remember a little gate on the right of the pic was where a lady used to come at playtime and pass us sweets through the railings, we all waited for her every day of course,
 And all the teachers and pupils used to play cricket at lunch time in the playground and the teachers used to hit the ball over the road and we had to find it, O'h what memories eh
Thanks Phil

Graham K

Brummiejoy

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »
Funny you should mention a lady putting sweets through the gate Graham. My mom used to bring us a piece with tomato sauce or dripping on and pass it through the railings to us. Do you remember the park keeper opposite the school? A couple of doors up from the school a lady got stuck in the door as she was so big they had to take the door frame off to get her out of the house.
Here's an older photo of St Annes.  Joy

sandrac

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
I started school at Cromwell St in Nechells and heaved at the smell of the Gas works all the way there ,once an old man stopped us to ask mom what was wrong with me as he'd seen us many times and thought my mom should take me to the doctor.
Moved to Erdington and went to Court Farm Primary in Tedbury Crescent which I loved Everyones favourite teacher was a Welsh man called Mr Hill, very strict but fair, He used the blackboard ruler like a cricket bat to whack the boys with, his catchphrase was "Bend my little friend " then whallop the poor lad was sent flying across the room, we girls were never hit at all but i do remember being sent to the Head    Miss Codling, she made me sit in her office all day twiddling my thumbs for some minor misdemeanor, and gave me back my dinner money so I could tell my mom why I had no dinner    did I hell, spent it in the sweet shop on my way home.Sobbed all day on the last day. Next to Erdington Grammar for Girls. Oh boy I hated that place except for sports (excluding hockey) Pat Lowe was one of our sports teachers  won't say what I thought of her she was in the Olympics once  how could we forget she never shut up about it. How could you take any teacher seriously when she was called Miss Muffet (taught Cookery) For science we had Dr Brownbridge he only had one hand,not much confidence in him then when conducting potentially explosive experiments. A team from our school won young scientists of the year on telly.Miss Hill was the Head apparantly she gave an end of year speech in assembly on what should have been my last day ,saying what a poor lot that years 5th formers had been, I wasn't there to hear her,I'd been wagging it for the last 2 weeks to work at Woolies in New St to earn spending money for my first YHA holiday with 5 other girls some of whom I am still in touch with.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy