Author Topic: What sxhool did you go to?  (Read 27992 times)

Yunalookalike

Re: What sxhool did you go to?
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 12:19:12 AM »
I'm saving up to go travelling, particularly around Australia and America.  Luckily, I enjoy the sort of jobs I do now (I have two), working with people and food, and those are the sort of jobs that can be done anywhere.  My boyfriend's in Oregon.:(

Mikey

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 02:52:45 AM »
Went to Birchfield Road Secondary Modern 1951-1955. Mr Hewitt, Mr L G Taylor, Mr W. Howells, Mr I G Davis were the class teachers during these years. Also remember Mr A E (Tubby) Taylor, Mr Walls (science), Mr Jones & Mr Wildeboar (woodwork), Mr Griffiths (metalwork), Mr Jarrett (Jasper!) and of course the headmaster Mr Whittaker (didn't we call him Gabby?). Would be interested to hear from anyone who recalls their time at Birchfield.

Cricket Pic: Can anyone identify the guys in the Photo?
I am not young enough to know everything

beppuu

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 01:39:14 PM »
Went to Birchfield Road Secondary Modern 1951-1955...

My brother went there from around 1956. It ceased to exist some time after he left and the site became the University of Central England. I went to Westminster Road School for a year, about 1947, then Ca.nterbury Road School (which later became Canterbury Cross) and finally King Edwards, Aston about 1957.

Westminster Road was the only one I really liked but Mom came and took me away after I told her they were keeping me in class one. The teacher told her that I was so well behaved that she wanted me as an example to the others! That was the only time I was well regarded by a teacher.

Tonto

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »
I got to enjoy the delights of Bournville school. The best thing about it... We played rugby and not football.

christopher

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 01:54:23 PM »
Hiya Graham,

I'm fascinated that you sailed the Irish Sea solo at the age of 11. Birningham has no coastline.
It sounds a bit like Ellen MacArthur from Derbyshire setting World records for sailing alone around
the World. Would you tell us some more about your experiences in the Irish Sea please?

Christopher

Burnsy

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 03:25:32 PM »
Christopher. Ellen macarthur's family used to spend summers near Lymington and were members of Lymington yacht club. Some of the best sailors in the world come from lake sailing as anyone can point a boat out to sea and have it go in a straight line, but with forced tacks (not only from being in a confined pool of water but the amount of people!) you'll find as technical sailors these people learn quicker on an day to day comparison.
 I never sailed solo as young as 11 (which is to be applauded) but I've salied the english channel many a time in plastic and steel yachts and have sailed the solent most summers for nearly 20 years.

Back to the topic in hand and I went to Welsh house farm primary in Quinton. After that I've spent my life on the Isle of Wight.

christopher

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 04:17:48 PM »
Thanks for your message Burnsy. I enjoyed one summer holiday learning to sail small dinghys on the Holy Loch in the days when the Polaris submarines were based there. I was taught a little bit about tacking.

john2000

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 10:41:08 PM »
Hi"Christopher, living here in H2oland ( The Netherlands,) theres more water than land, when sailing you have to know the rules of the road, sort of thing, we have lots of small craft here, ranging  power and  sail, there are many runabouts towing a large innertube with kids in it and they bounce all over the place and  after a while they bounce off in to the water, its great fun ( I know I've done it,) I get worried when they bounce close to my boat, because they are going at hell of a speed, and cant just stop, they may slam into it, but most time they stay near the shore, you have  to have your eyes everywhere, one side you've got kids bouncing all over the place and on the other side you have these great big barges which are moving at high speed of knots ( the law say"a large boat has to give way to a smaller boat"ha, dont tell me, tell the barges, it takes about a mile for them to stop, so you move out of there way, and the waves they make ( wash) are big, and I love it, my boat rolls over them like as if she is trying to take off, wont tell you what my crew ( ladyfriend ) says when that happens, up the north of Holland there are some islands, and when the dide goes out you can almost walk across from the mainland to the islands, so if you have a keel boat you have to take care, its great to sit on my boat  when the tide goes out she just sits there on the sand, very quite, no one around, till the water comes back, she wont tip over because she is a 9m trimaran, so we sit there with a glass of wine and watch the sun sets, which are out of this world, ................John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

ACE

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
Although Graham's achievement is impressive, it is not as impressive as mine.

I was only eight years old when I sailed from England to Australia, backwards. I can speak every language apart from Greek, but it is all Greek to me. I have four degrees (in my fridge).  I was the first person to finish in the top 50 of the tour de France on a unicycle, even though I had a puncture for the last stage. I have won Mastermind twice, the second time I was blindfolded, tied up and immersed in a bath of freezing water.

I have travelled the world barefoot three times - from North to South, East to West, and from the outside to the inside (this wasn't barefoot as I didn't want to burn my feet)

My next challenge is to travel to the Moon without oxygen or the use of any instruments other than my INquiring mind

Graham

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry that I have not been on line for some time now but I think that I did mention about my second heart operation, had that in April. As this was my second op in a year I didn't recover all that quickly. To recap, this time round they had to replace more of my aorta, from my heart aorta, aorta bow and all the junctions! Last year they did a piece of my aorta but they destroyed my aorta valve in the process, so that had to be replaced too.

After my long stay in hospital I had to go through a rehab programme. I cut that short and half July went off to my summer home in Luxembourg where I managed to recover well, thanks to the wonderful clean air there and the peace & rest. No phone calls, no computers, no one dropping in day & night, in short sheer bliss. I did go to the hospital in Luxembourg every week for a INR blood check up. Been back home now for a week or so.

Christopher, sailing was second nature to me and thought nothing of it. Had only one incident that day and that was some jobs in a speed boat took a grab of one of my lines and thought it would be great fun to tow me backwards. They had underestimated the power of sail and wind, it was them that got towed backwards by me! With faces as long as a Conger they soon let go of my line, the laugh was on them.

Burnsy, I also learned the art of tacking on a lake before sailing at sea.

Ace, you really are an ace.  ;D

To get back to this topic have you tried http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/friendsreunited.asp?WCI=FRMain&show=Y&page=UK&randomiser=0

Graham.

Naughtyrascal

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
Devon Street in Nechells, St. Annes I think the name was. Was a good junior school from what I can recall, sadly now gone and built over many years ago. Those types of old schools had character.

Later did seniors at Colmers Farm Junior and Senior after moving across the city.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy