Author Topic: What sxhool did you go to?  (Read 27990 times)

spyro2000

What sxhool did you go to?
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »
The title says it all really.

What school did you go to and what were your opinions of it?
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

johnl

Re: What sxhool did you go to?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »
Hi,
I did all my schooling at Oakley Rd  Small Heath. :)
On reflection it was a good place to learn among great people. 8)
The standard of teaching was good and students were given every opportunity to gain a good education.
Nevertheless we had all in all a fun time in those years following WW2 (1949-1960) ;D
John L

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »
My school was Selly Park Girls. Not the most popular school back then. But hey it's been voted the best school in England this year, beating Thomas Telford school for the first time, although it has changed name to Selly Park Technology College. ::)

I am going to say that i went to the best school in England, so there, lol.

john2000

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:32:30 PM »
Jacky.... But did you learn anything  ???
John 2000
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

daftas

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:34:15 PM »
Ada Road Small Heath........or ST Andrew's  2 Teachers that stand out in my mind is Lunt and Evans.
Lunt was art and Evans was music and boy could they give the stick?  right on the tips of your fingers   :'(

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
Daftus, What years did you attend Ada Road or what age are you now? Hubby went there and is 63.

daftas

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:18:17 PM »
Hi Jacqueline
Iwent to ada road in 1964 i'm 52 this year.
i got it wrong evans was the headmaster busby was music!
I left there in 1969

bossd

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 04:59:34 PM »
I went to the CTC in Kingshurst. It was buzzin, we seemed to get all the hottest girls come to our school ( there were interviews to do b4 u went, sure the teachers decided on placements by looks lol). Left about 8yrs ago!!!! Damn im startin to feel old lol!!!
The world is yours

spyro2000

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 06:18:46 PM »
I went to a real crap school imo.

I went to the Arthur Terry school in Four Oaks Sutton. I hated it. The teachers treated me like crap, they all thought i was thick as 2 planks and were constantly putting me down and telling me I would get nowhere in life.

i think I might go back down there in September and show them my degree :D
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Graham

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:27:21 PM »
As I have said earlier on this board, I think that I went to the worst school in England, Dennis Road, Brum.

I was also treated like crap and thought as thick as s..., just because I was very quiet and didn't have a big mouth.

I was always in the top ten of all the "A" stream classes and in my last year finished 8th from a class of 44. The teacher's remark on my 8th place was "how on earth did a dunce like you manage that"! In P.T. I was given nought out of ten, with the remark "very weak". Little did they know that I was a star in one of the toughest sports on earth, cycling. Because I was so very quiet I never told (bragged to) anyone that I trained 50 miles each evening and at weekends 100 miles.

As soon as I could afford it I left England, FOR GOOD, to pursue my cycling dream of one day being world champion. Before I left I set three national records at 10 miles, 25 miles, 1 hour, (these records stood for nearly 20 years) and I did win several national and division championships. I moved to Holland at Easter and by September I was world amateur road champion, something that no other Brit had done before, or since, in the 84 year history of this race! Finished just behind Henry Cooper in BBC Sportsman of the year in 1967, 3rd in the Daily Express sportsman of the year 1967. I wonder what the Dennis Rd. P.T. teacher (Taffy) would have thought of that?

I now live in Belgium, speak several languages, have a degree in mechanical engineering and in electronics, all acheived in a foreign language. I have been decorated twice by the Belgian King, for sevices to Belgian industry, have my own page in the golden book of the town where I live, I wonder what the teacher's at Dennis Rd. would think of this "dunce" now?

Dennis Road School, the worst in Britain, if not on this Earth. The best move of my life, turning my back on Britain!

Rupert

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 02:35:59 PM »
Hi. Graham,
  Interesting to hear that you were in Mechanical Engineering. I thought that you would have had a career in sport since you had been so good at cycling. I also have had a career in Mechanical Engineering, such as it is. Moved around a lot and designed machinery of many types but mainly heavy duty equipment for steel mills and mining. Finally operated my own company in special purpose equipment design. Can’t say that my teachers at Leigh Road were all that bad at all. Most were very acceptable and some even great. I won a scholarship to a technical school and that was a leg up to getting a HNC. Since then I did some extra studying at U of T in Canada. I suppose I was lucky.
  It’s the individual that counts. You need an enquiring mind and the courage to try for things.  Like the guy who was the fastest Indian said “ you can’t just sit on your [censored] and be a cabbage”. Anyway it’s interesting to know that there were more facets to your life than cycling perhaps you could tell us more about them and we could exchange experiences in Engineering. I suspect that a design engineer’s life is ultimately a bit of a let down. You have to stop when you are the best at it, with all the experience that you end up with. Been on the beech a couple of years now and I am beginning to leaf out a bit. It’s the enquiring mind darn it. Although it was hard peddling I miss it.
Regards, Rupert.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy