Author Topic: What sxhool did you go to?  (Read 27997 times)

Graham

Re: What sxhool did you go to?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:04 PM »
Hi Rupert, thanks for your reply, I had and still have an enquiring mind.

Even before I could ride a bike I was interested in anything mechanical or electrical, (like most young lads I guess). My first passion was sailing boats and ships, the automatic steering on yachts fascinated me no end. I sailed the Irish Sea solo at the age of 11!

My next, and biggest passion, was aircraft and flying. After the war there were many airfields in Britain, many have gone now. At home we didn't have a car, so to visit as many airfields as possible I had to do cycle many many miles, my strong basis for becoming a world cycling champ. By the age of 13 I could cycle from Brum to Heathrow in 5 hours, just to admire the aircraft! (I will have to keep this short or it'll become a book).

At this age my one ambition was to get in the RAF. I joined up with the ATC (Air Training Corps) learned navigation and communications, at the age of 14 I could take off and land a DH Chipmunk, without the pilots help. Did a three day test at RAF Halton and was accepted into the RAF as an apprentice instrument fitter, all I needed was my mom's signature on my papers. Guess what, she woudn't sign!

I then put all my time and energy into skating but ended up as a racing cyclist.

The point of all this is that I had, and still have, many facets to my life. I can be very passionate about the things that I take up, but not fanatical to the point were only that one thing counts. I took up engineering because I love anything mechanical and did studies to get to know the finer points, not to make it a career. The same for electronics, studied it because I wanted to know how it all worked. In 1974 I built a huge powerful mobile disco show from scratch, with 1000 watt speakers and 1000's of watts light effects. Nothing these days but then it was revolutionary here. Designed and made all my own mixers, amplifiers ect. from components and chips. Set up a local radio station, where I was chief engineer and DJ! Did programmes in English and Flemish, also wrote the scripts for other DJ's. During all this time did a full time job in industry, restored two MG's from scratch, did a three year science course raised three children and one wife.

Will have to stop now. I hope that this has lifted the curtain on my life a little bit, you did ask, I hope it's not been too boring.

Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 11:03:45 PM »
Gosh cannot follow that but well done anyway.
Just wanna tell Daftus that he was way behind hubby at Ada Road being some ten years younger but he may remember him as the mad biker on the tip.

Graham

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 08:30:19 PM »
Jacqueline, sorry if you can't follow, but Rupert will know what i'm on about as we have exchanged thoughts before.

Graham.

Joan Cutler

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »
The first school I remember was in Elmdon Park in 1936 on the end of a row of cottages sadly no longer there.
I then went to St Alphege in Solihull and finally to Lode Heath in Lode lane Solihull from 1939 until I left in 1944. ;)

Kayt

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 10:27:06 PM »
I went to Lyndon School in Solihull.

Joan Cutler

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi Kayt,
One of my younger sisters went there. ;)

midnightstar

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 10:55:34 PM »
i went to turves green girls i hated it lol

john2000

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »
I used to go to Hope St school, it was so bad that they pulled it down after I left.... ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

cappdn

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 08:54:46 AM »
I went to hope street, They also thought that I would never do any good in life. The head teacher" Barlow", reckoned that I was agressive and illiterate
and would probaly end up in prison. I left school. got married at 19, " Still together" passed an SAS selection course, became one of the youngest DOs in the fire brigade, Migrated to Australia in 1975. Have had a number of managerial positions in Victoria. in the areas of security and local goverment law enforcement.  I retire next year I can look back at those teachers who crapcanned me and realise what a bunch of drongos they were.
Regards
Dennis

Yunalookalike

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 12:50:05 AM »
I went to St Albans, in Highgate, near Gooch Street.   Before that I went to St Catherines, on the Bristol Road, near the City Centre.  I was bright - best in my year, in fact - but school bored the hell out of me.  I missed a lot of it because of illness, but I always did fine on exams, up until I was fifteen and missed school for my entire final year.  I didn't get my predicted exam results, mostly because of a lack of coursework.  I did go to Solihull College for a while, but one day I just wondered why I was bothering.  The subject wasn't anything that would help me acheive the life I wanted, and I'd spend most of my life dreaming of leaving school.  I now work two jobs, and I'm perfectly happy with the way my life is going.^_^

john2000

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »
Hi"again Yun, there is an old saying. "teach a man and will learn a trade,"teach a woman and you teach the world ". learn what you can, while you can, and you will never regret it.
most of us on the fourm live in other countries, only because we had the guts to try it, ( we were better off than the locals because if we where not happy, we could always go back home ) ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy