Author Topic: What sxhool did you go to?  (Read 27996 times)

mybrumtv

Re: What sxhool did you go to?
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »
Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to go to school now. They reckon 60% of the kids leaving school can't read or write properly and the other 50% can't add up! 8)

That's because they are too busy collecting knives to learn anything!!!  ???
If your feet smell and your nose runs you were born upside down

Chessy

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
St. Trinians
Maybe my altruistic views predispose me to such propositions, but it won't stop me joining the party

m/search?q=the+farmer+and+the+cowman&sca_esv=594793247&sxsrf=AM9HkKlyGJxCXd0UyheM9ig9PiCsXAXhTw%3A1704059497453&ei=aeKRZemaG6ythbIP3eOoiAQ&gs_s

squashie

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
I went to Burlington Girls secondary Modern in Aston.
It wasnt too bad there. I enjoyed learning

Nora

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
I went to Grove School was very good at the time, have heard that since then the place has had some low figures and the teaching is really poor.

Donp777

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
I went to Gorse Farm Infants and junior school then on to Dartmouth  High School left in 1969

denise

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »
Hey chessy,I went to the same school as you ::)

Littlesis

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »
Hi all I went to Mary Street school my first teacher was Miss Millington we used to have a little nap in the afternoon by a heater/boiler thingy. One of my later teachers was called Mrs Black, this fascinated me because she was. John do you remember the "dark arches" and when they made the cocoa in the big sinks/vats in the wintertime. The boys used to run through the girls toilets at the bottom of the playground for a dare. A few years ago I read a book called "Cows don't graze in Brum" by a guy called A A Hasker. When I tried to buy the book at bookshops I couldn't, a girl in W H Smiths found out the publisher and I rang them. This turned out to be A A Hasker's publishing business, when I spoke to him he was as broad a brummie as you could imagine and the book was semi autobiographical, he lived when he was little at the back of Mary Street schools back entrance and went to the school. Well worth a read if you can get it.

john2000

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »
Sounds good, I remember Miss Bentley ( head teacher ), and a miss Pitt, ( I believe her dad was in politics, she was a great teacher,  always looked forward to friday afternoon it was story time, when she read a story, you could hear a pin drop..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

tramp

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
John,

We had a teacher who had that gift, and retained it, despite being our (class) teacher for the year and so taking most of our classes. 

I got back into contact with Mrs Phillips over 9 years ago through the local paper by giving them my old P.O Box No.  She's exactly 20 years older than us (her class).  I phone her at Christmas and on her birthday and her voice, despite age and illness, perhaps the more so because of them, has retained that quality that draws your attention - it's well worth 10 times the phone bill, just listening to her. Of course, she still calls me by (and writes) using an old name and initial, but so does (almost) everyone who has not first met in the last 25 years*.   Those are probably part of the ''magic'' of listening to her!  :) She also still writes with the same flowing elegance as she did on the blackboard 55 years ago.

* As you probably know, you can (could then) change your name, full or in part, quite simply in Scotland, essentially by simply publishing the change the requisite number of times in the press and stating that all (formerly ) documents remain valid.  As most of mine (all except one Christian name) had already changed once through adoption - with dad's consent just before he died - I couldn't resist the opportunity to call myself by names a little more discrete, and incidentally discreet!  There are are, or were, many Scots' laws entirely different to those of England - a fairly drastic example was that by requesting it a police station, a man could arrange for two policemen to come to where he was living ( he did not have be either landlord or owner) to ''put the woman out'' (onto the street) and after identifying the woman, she had to leave in what she was wearing at that moment (i.e. without a coat or handbag) unless the man gave permission for each specific item.   I know it was still the law in early 1982 as it happened to one of my staff, but the police were good enough to fix her some decent accommodation for the night, and to phone me at her request - poor woman was one of a pair of orphans - it turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to her, as she's now a happy granny!

gem

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »
hi newbie here  :)

i went to grove lane school followed by handsworth girls school followed by barr beacon secondary modern school .

i am sixty this year so work out the maths yaself lol, at barr beacon there were only 5 girls in our class, denise, jeanette, joyce, erummmm somebody else n me lol .

lived in stirchley the last time i lived in birmingham , but have lived in handsworth montague road, great barr and kings heath before then.

look forward to getting to know some of you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
Hi Gem

Welcome to the forum, what with Handsworth, Great Barr, Kings Heath & Stirchley. There has got to be some one on the forum who went to the same places as you.

I'm roughly your age, but it would have to be places in the south of Birmingham like kings Heath and Stirchley that I knew, but we have plenty on here who come from the north of Brum. Settle in you'll soon get to know everyone.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy