Author Topic: Clifton Road  (Read 12806 times)

Phil Davidson

Re: Clifton Road
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
Things have changed a bit since I was in the area, but a bit more info on Clifton Road.

Immediately after the school, on the left going towards Ladypool Road, there were 2 avenues.
I may have the order mixed up, but the first avenue, at least in the 60's led to a small factory called Stuart Tools. From Google Maps, this avenue is now Brunel Close. Stuart Tools used to make various types of cutting tools, in particular, drills and reamers for Wickman automatics which were used in the car industry.
The next avenue, which no longer exists, had a few 2 up / 2 down houses, and one of the houses was occupied by the Lamb family. This was a big family of around a dozen kids, most of whom were at Clifton Road school at the same time as my family, and they went from there to Dennis Road school.
I have some vague memories of the Lamb's being re-housed in the Kitts Green area in the late 60's.

juliem999

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Does anyone remember Eric,Barry,Kenny or Marg Blockley from either Clifton road or Mary street Balsall heath? Margie had a son called Steven who passed away in his 40,s.. but has 3 sons. My dad Eric is the only one remaing now,so would love any info off anyone who remembers any of them.

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »
Old Clifton Road School is having an open day with a WW2 flavour, this weekend.      For details, Google on 'Birmingham Heritage Open Days 2014'
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

trapio

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »
Things have changed a bit since I was in the area, but a bit more info on Clifton Road.

Immediately after the school, on the left going towards Ladypool Road, there were 2 avenues.
I may have the order mixed up, but the first avenue, at least in the 60's led to a small factory called Stuart Tools. From Google Maps, this avenue is now Brunel Close. Stuart Tools used to make various types of cutting tools, in particular, drills and reamers for Wickman automatics which were used in the car industry.
The next avenue, which no longer exists, had a few 2 up / 2 down houses, and one of the houses was occupied by the Lamb family. This was a big family of around a dozen kids, most of whom were at Clifton Road school at the same time as my family, and they went from there to Dennis Road school.
I have some vague memories of the Lamb's being re-housed in the Kitts Green area in the late 60's.

In the second avenue which had wooden warehouse on the upper corner / LH side, which had wooden wagons and gypsy type caravans inside, also on that left hand side live a small family called Harris  -  I've tried a dozen ways over last 10 years to contact Barry Harris, who was my best mate at Clifton Rd School. Has anyone any news of him, or David Rayson who lived further up Clifton Rd?
Integrity is non negotiable

Lizzie Drippin

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
My dads aunt and uncle, Gertrude and Edward Blackburn lived in Clifton Rd, 1920/30s. Opposite the infants school. Ted raced pigeons and also bred Fox terriers. He worked for the council,lighting the gas street lights and Gertie worked for Cadburys. Anyone remember them ?

Phil Davidson

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
Lizzie, from my time at Clifton Road School, only the Junior School faced onto Clifton Road, and all of the Infants School faced onto Hertford Street.

Lizzie Drippin

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. Im only going on things my dad told me, so it must have been the Junior school.As I never lived in the area(although lots of my family did, and hubbys family too),im not very good at placing things, just very interested in family history. Regards Lizzie

cocacolakid

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
My dads aunt and uncle, Gertrude and Edward Blackburn lived in Clifton Rd, 1920/30s. Opposite the infants school. Ted raced pigeons and also bred Fox terriers. He worked for the council,lighting the gas street lights and Gertie worked for Cadburys. Anyone remember them ?

Hi Lizzie...

There was a lad by the name of Alan Blackburn in my class at Dennis Rd School in the late 50s. I know he lived local to the school, so could have been in Clifton Rd?? only a few mins away.  Alan would be 71/2 years of age at present. I don't know if this info is of any use to you??

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

frederick

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Hi Malc,
Alan Blackburn was a friend of mine as he lived just by me in Leamington rd, I also have photo of him at my 21st birthday party    O0

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

cocacolakid

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
Hi Malc,
Alan Blackburn was a friend of mine as he lived just by me in Leamington rd, I also have photo of him at my 21st birthday party    O0

Hi Fred...

Thanks for that info & pic.   Good to see the photo of Alan Blackburn.   I don't know if he is related to the Blackburns that Lizzie was asking about. As you know, Clifton Rd & Leamington Rd are not far apart, so could be.  I await a reply from Lizzie, so watch this space  O0

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Lizzie Drippin

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
Hi cocacolakid sorry but Gert and Ted didn't have any children and I don't know any of the other Blackburn family, so they could be related !!!. Pleased its given you and Fredrick a link.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy