Author Topic: Clifton Road  (Read 12808 times)

RobertS

Clifton Road
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
I notice there are few mentions about Clifton Road. My Mother and Grandparents grew up there in the 1920's. When Mom was alive we sat down with a detailed street plan and she pencilled in all the families she knew about. The family names are Johnstone and Ravenhill. As can be imagined I have a great number of gaps and would be grateful for any memories or information. Thanks.

frederick

Re: Clifton Road
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »
hi robertS,
 graham and myself had an aunt and uncle that lived in clifton rd ladypool rd end oppersite the pub their name was alf and flos penny.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Graham

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
Robert, Clifton Rd School circa 1952, from Dave Rock. I'm sitting at the back on the right, dave is sitting at the front. And a photo of the old school from the street, Kirby Grip side.

tali

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
i visit the little childrens farm on clifton rd, opposite the old closed down  pub
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

Graham

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
Tali,

as I've lived in Belgium for 40 years I have no idea where the children's farm is or the closed pub, can you be more precise please?

tali

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »
Tali,

as I've lived in Belgium for 40 years I have no idea where the children's farm is or the closed pub, can you be more precise please?
hi graham its known as
Malvern Street Farm, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, B12 8NJ ( been there along time but even i just discoverd it recently) Pub name as yet unknown
just google map the postcode(couldn't map link)
hth
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
Hi Graham,

The pub would be the Railway Inn on the corner of Malvern Street & Clifton Rd a nice clean house with very little trouble and a nice pint well it used to be. One of the very few pubs in the locality that I don't have a photo of. The farm would be Balsall Heath Inner City Farm, I think it is now managed by the St Paul's Trust.

Makes you think doesent it, where were these Trusts and inner city farms when we were kids.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:22:08 PM »
Phil,

We had the bomb sites, what more could a kiddy ask for! Though I must admit there was not much left to trash after Adolf had been round. ;D

tali

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:42:18 AM »
Hi Graham,

The pub would be the Railway Inn on the corner of Malvern Street & Clifton Rd a nice clean house with very little trouble and a nice pint well it used to be. One of the very few pubs in the locality that I don't have a photo of. The farm would be Balsall Heath Inner City Farm, I think it is now managed by the St Paul's Trust.

Makes you think doesent it, where were these Trusts and inner city farms when we were kids.

Phil.
Yes its run by st pauls trust , and your name is correct although i have seen it called malvern st farm
more info here
http://www.stpaulstrust.org.uk/default.php?id=180

juliem999

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »
My Nan and Grandad lived in Clifton Road Balsall heath,Nora and Artur Blockley....does anyone remember them? They were moved to Mossfield road KIngs Heath.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
Hi Julie

I have sent you an email, when did your grandparents live in Clifton Rd. I think I remember your grandmother living in Mary Street where your dad & his brother started up in business in the 50's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy