Author Topic: Bells Lane, Kings Norton  (Read 5197 times)

pickard.r

Re: Bells Lane, Kings Norton
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
Judging by the row of trees in the background of Phils picture I would say that It was situated just off Wilsford Close, I lived 200 yards from Wilsford and the trees lined a Brooke that used to run from one side of the estate to the other. The brooke was piped and covered over in the 80's but the evidence is still visible.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
Hi Bobby

The lamppost seems about right as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

riverboy

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
Lovely to see these maps and photos, I lived by the shops in Winterbourne crescent from 1947 untill we moved out in 1964.
There was fire alarm post on Bells lane by the junction of Ogbury road next to the midwifes house, Nurse Munn lived ther with her elderly farther and a goose in the garden.
On the junction of Bells lane and Shrewton road there was a small brick built catholic church, oppisite this on the other side of Bells lane used to be an old cottage, this was demolished in 50's, I remember throwing stones bricks etc down the well.

cr8tor

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Hi wonder if there is a reference to this 19 50s map or if you have another view of it closer to the Druids Lane Bells Lane junction towards Maypole.
This map from the 1950,s may help

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
cr8tor

Is this what you are after, here are maps before and after the changes, if you want a better or larger copy of these maps I can send you a link by private message of where you can purchase them as it is against forum policy to link to commercial sites on the open forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Coastal

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »
As I've mentioned in another thread, check out Google Earth with the 1945 maps, as you zoom in, near the bottom left corner, a little box with "1945" should appear, click on that, when you do, a slide bar appears top left, where a few other view dates are available.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

cr8tor

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
Thanks I have found them all and loads of others very useful. Thanks
As I've mentioned in another thread, check out Google Earth with the 1945 maps, as you zoom in, near the bottom left corner, a little box with "1945" should appear, click on that, when you do, a slide bar apeares top left, where a few other view dates are available.

PTV@7green@22

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 07:33:12 PM »
It would be interesting to know who you are because everything you write about I recognise  and remember as if it was yesterday. Shrewton Road going up the hill past the church, The brook  that we used to play in and swing underneath the bridget you also  mention the district nurse lived in Ogbury Road she was I think  nurse Munn but then he was a nurse Fry a little later

Pete W

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy