Author Topic: ex pats from birmingham  (Read 15892 times)

planetmalc

Re: ex pats from birmingham
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
You've been shafted under Labour, the Tories and the Coalition, so it's time to try something else.    The ballot box is the only legal way you've got to effect change, so get in there & do it in 2015! O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

trapio

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
As less than half a quote is ‘nowt’, you picked up a dog-end and burned your finger stinger – kindly read it all, inwardly digest and perhaps you may then make a positive contribution to this thread – such as letting us know what you’re doing to change things..

If you had understood my post (and John’s), you would have seen that I am angry at what has happened to UK - that is far from ‘mardy’, and said…

….please, try even now, to save what you can from what Sensi can foresee......got to be worth a shot as ''yes, we really do think so'', and you and most of yours will likely have to live with it - if you do nowt and fail to emigrate.

Integrity is non negotiable

trapio

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 04:00:14 AM »
Quote from Spud,

''Us Brits seem to love putting down our country but we have so much which is the envy of the World……......''

As this wasn’t addressed to me, John, or anyone in particular it might equally well be ignored, yet it’s better to congratulate you on mentioning UK’s current R-R jet engines - and foreign car plants which are financially worthwhile for not only Overseas HQ and shareholders, but also workers, the vast majority of whom are traditional Brits – the self-same root stocks who made Britain ‘Great’ down the ages – not the Overseas Nationals mentioned. 

Because you’d spent your whole life in the same place till retirement, it may well not have been a good idea to uproot from your UK heritage, leave family and a life’s contacts behind to attempt to successfully settle in another country - you say your visits to other places have confirmed this. 

With respect, to even begin to consider immigration, one normally needs to ‘live and earn’ in a place for at least a couple of months, longer if you go for a ‘new’ reason, e.g. retirement, new profession - unless a specific job awaits you, as I’ve always had - a bit like the army, a case of arrive, start work next morning, unless there has been over 9 hrs jet lag. Or you may go to meet a national need, as did Roy’s teachers – who wisely made a ‘look, see and learn’ visit before deciding to go. 

As I last left UK 16 years ago, I obviously completely agree with:

‘And despite all of this for the last Fifteen years or so we have been served by some the most inept self interested Politicians. Just imagine what we would be capable of with some real Leadership. 

As Labour was always going to win the next election, very sadly, any prospect of decent leadership died with John Smith, and you got ‘the husband of Alf Garnet’s granddaughter’ as PM …and would be President of EU....then, quite soon, this lot.

Despite opportunities to take other nationalities, including now, I've kept a British Passport or rather the EU 'ration book rag' that replaced the dark blue true British passports in the past century.  My nationality reflects my brum roots of which I'm proud - warts and all O0

Good Luck

trapio

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »
Expatriates well know that it is nor a matter of ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans do’, it’s much simpler, namely accept local customs, observe local laws and ensure that you offend no one.  Nor are you required to ringingly endorse them, or do all that they do and enjoy, like half time football ‘entertainment’ and Saturday afternoons at Bar beach featuring public executions. .Just keep your mouth shut, which should also help to keep your lunch down. 

If you cannot hack it – hop it pdq, before it becomes obvious..  The key word is accept, you do not have to inwardly respect, and you would be foolish to outwardly disrespect, local laws and customs. …

…..and keep your passport and air ticket handy....there may be an army coup at the weekend.

How agreeable it would be if very many Overseas Nationals similarly accepted traditional British laws and norms rather than attempting to defy them, or override them, as in UK sharia courts. 

Those that persistently disrupt UK laws and customs, should be removed, just as in their country, their British counterpart is arrested and removed - or imprisoned.

john2000

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »
Expatriates well know that it is nor a matter of ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans do’, it’s much simpler, namely accept local customs, observe local laws and ensure that you offend no one.  Nor are you required to ringingly endorse them, or do all that they do and enjoy, like half time football ‘entertainment’ and Saturday afternoons at Bar beach featuring public executions. .Just keep your mouth shut, which should also help to keep your lunch down. 

If you cannot hack it – hop it pdq, before it becomes obvious..  The key word is accept, you do not have to inwardly respect, and you would be foolish to outwardly disrespect, local laws and customs. …

…..and keep your passport and air ticket handy....there may be an army coup at the weekend.

How agreeable it would be if very many Overseas Nationals similarly accepted traditional British laws and norms rather than attempting to defy them, or override them, as in UK sharia courts. 

Those that persistently disrupt UK laws and customs, should be removed, just as in their country, their British counterpart is arrested and removed - or imprisoned.
O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
Spot on, Trapio!     Over here, we let the lunatics run the asylum :o (but that'll all change when UKIP get in! O0 ).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

trapio

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
Yup malc.

The loonies have been running the show for years - not convinced about UKIP yet, but won't be voting anyway.

Good to see another UK resident who doesn't look at the place through the eyes of self-delusion O0

maggie

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
When is the next Panto showand who will
be the Dame
do unto others as you would be done by

avbrummie

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
I went back to Rednal on holiday after 12 years in California. My rental got broken into. Never seen so much garbage on the streets. Beer cans, dog droppings, even a hardly eaten fish and chips somebody dropped on the pavement. Birmingham wallow in your own crap you seem like you are enjoying it.

trapio

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:45 AM »
Hi avbrummie,

Welcome to the forum - we need more expats! You were obviously angered and saddened by what you found - it seems to be the way of things these days from media reports inc this forum.

I left brum in teens in 1959 and have never been back though work took me to UK for periods, London, Man/cr, near Glasgow but never brum - drove past on motorways many a time - but there was never a specific reason to 'stop and see' and brum was always in the middle part of the drive, so stopping would have disrupted journey. Obviously no real family there.

I've no wish to find the same as you came across, so will probably never 'go down the old end'.  Was in UK last year and spent time with friends in places mentioned above. 

Where in brum did you live?  I had friends in La Jolla, nr San Diego, Dinuba, San Joaquin Valley and Walnut Creek nr Oakland - they've all left for Florida, NZ and British Columbia - for good reasons - all were born in Ca.

Enjoy the forum mate O0

trapio

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
to see Chang you need to move away then come back two years later   if you live with it you do not notice but Chang comes slow
if trapio went down the old end he would be lost and I'm sure he would think  this can not be right whats gone wrong

my wife's friends did just that  yes it took time for them to find there feet they went with a few bob in there pocket and an open mind did not ask for help or expect any they went to stand on there own two feet
would they come back to the UK to live no they said  we give the UK our lives we put in more than we took out we give it our best
and it was for nothing   you need more than just money
 they said they could not wait to get back to ozz it was a mistake to come back to the UK
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy