Author Topic: Top Brummies  (Read 40429 times)

Jacqueline

Top Brummies
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »
Which brummies float your boat?  ;D

Did you love Enoch or hate him. Perhaps more recent folks like Jasper Carrot is your hero [he is mine]. We have pop stars to politicains born in Brum so let's hear your top five. Hey not your nan [we all love then] unless she was famouse.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Top Brummies
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »
Jacqueline, five is not enough.

Mathew Boulton (He was Birmingham and put it on the map)
Percy Shurmer (He breathed Birmingham)
Tony Hancock (He made England Laugh)
John Lodge (Moodies) (wonderful music)
Enoch Powell ( An Educated wonderful charming gentleman)

In that order. I've shown you mine now lets see yours.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Tyke

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 01:06:05 AM »
Jacky this thread was well covered last year, but if it's going to run again make sure Graham's at the top of the BF list. :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »
Tyke,

Perhaps it was well covered, but some of us were not members of this forum then, and could not some of those who took part then now wish to present a new selection. If you wish to put Graham at the top of your new list then do so.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Graham

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »
Jacky this thread was well covered last year, but if it's going to run again make sure Graham's at the top of the BF list. :D

Ger orf wif ya, yums mekkin mi blush :-[

Matty Bolton; yes he's my N° 1 too. The rest are politicians or performing artists, I have very little respect for them as top Brummies. It seems that your mug has to be on the telly a lot before people think that you are someone or something good, where as it is often those that work quietly behind the scenes, that are the real (unsung) heroes. So unknown that we'll never know them at all, unless someone else drags them out into the spotlight.

But don't let this stop you putting down your 'top ten', but don't forget Tyke's N° 1  ;) He (Tyke) is my N° 1 now, so Matty drops a place to N° 2!  :)

Langstraat

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
Graham,

I saw your latest update of the exploits of the Sixties on the 'other' site. I was cycling in the same era as you relate, even on the evening events at Salford Park. I rode with Tommy Simpson and Duralacker once although I shouldn't really say 'with' them because they were in a different league to me and my buddies. Simpson gave us a half lap lead and still beat us to the line. :o
What they, and you did for us ordinary mortals was to give us encouragement. I followed your career in the Cycling magazines of the time.
The building of the spaghetti junction caused much disruption to the Salford cycling track that those events faded just when my group had caught the bug of excitement.

You were at the top of my peer group and were spoken about with pride.
Glad to see you back on form on the Forum after your lay off. O0
I read about your time trial races and tried to beat your times, but unlike you who cycled within the constraints of rules I rode on the Chester Road from Boldmere to Meriden. My best time was 17 minutes and usually relied on catching hold of the back of a truck on the Castle Bromwich climb; Not strictly correct but bloody good fun.  I was sorry to hear of the anomosity between you and Hugh Porter he was another of my hero's. I'll never forget the size of his highs they were like tree trunks :D

Glad to see you back on the Forum after your lay off. O0
BTW I think you should be awarded a star on Broad Street's walk of fame.
Maybe we should run a Poll here and eslewhere?
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »
Langstraat,

Thanks for your words. I write sometimes about those times, not to brag but just for the record, as when I'm gone it's gone.

Salford Park was just about the worst track to ride on, bumpy, shallow bankings and very open, but it was all we had. If we had had a good track we would have brought many a world record to Brummie riders. It was never built for the likes of us, as at record speed you hit the banking on the inside with your pedal. I have seldom known fear on a bike, but I was very careful at Salford and never fell off there. I didn't fancy being torn to bits by Salfords rough tarmac.

I am very pleased to hear that you found encouragement in my deeds, you're not the only one to have said that to me, in fact that is my greatest joy in life, giving others something to aim at. Sometimes it was a bit too much, as I often inspired lesser mortals into thinking they could beat the world, I then had even more work bringing them back down to earth!

My greatest achievement was picking Mick Bennett, at the age of 14, off the streets of Brum, I was only 18 myself. He later won two bronze Olympic medals and was world team pursuit champion. Mick brought the Tour of Britain back this year and was responsible for bringing the Tour de France to London this year. Mick, a real Brummie, pleases me no end and I feel that through him I still live on in Britain. It took Mick a long time to acknowledge me though, in 'Cycling Weekly' September 6th, 2007, he at last told the world that I had brought him into the cycling game.

Any problems between Hugh Porter and myself was all his doing as he called me a cheat and wouldn't shake my hand when I put him 7 minutes down in the Beacon Mountain T.T. in, 1963! http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/archive/gpw1963_article.html I had just come from the junior ranks and was only just 19 years old. I buried the hatchet with him at the opening of the New track at Newport in Wales, British Cycling had invited me to the opening and asked me to dish out all the prizes to all the National champions, together with Nicole Cooke. This was the first time ever and the last that BC showed me any recognition!

You talk about Hugh Porters thighs, but did you ever get a look at his wife's, Anita Lonsborough, (Olympic gold swimmer) thighs?  :D

Thanks for the star on Broad Street, I hope that not too many dogs get walked down there!

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »
Thanks Phil, I felt well slapped across the knuckles by posting "a well covered subject". No offence Tyke but you just made me feel a bit of an idiot...perhaps i am, lol.

Now as for my top guys. Graham is my mate and knows full well he is a star on here as far as i am concerned. However i knew nothing of his sport or himself prior to this site.

Yes Mathew Boulton, Enoch Powell and Percy Sherma but i might add a few others in no special order.

Barbara Cartland and her father Major Cartland

George Cadbury

and a host of entertainers to include Jasper Carrot, Bev Bevan, Ozzie Osboune etc etc. What about Susan Maughn [booby's girl] and of course UB40.

They are not inventors but they do put Brum on the map in the modern day.

Graham

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »
Langstraat,

Talking about thighs, I don't think that you ever took a good look at mine. They put the s..ts up many a would-be. Here is a shot of me leading the pack at the 1967 world championships, compare with the other riders and look at their faces too. I don't think that they are wishing me good luck do you?

Tyke

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »
Jacky,

Sorry you thought that was a 'slap across the knuckles' it wasn't meant to be. As a newby I've been reading through the archive of posts and particularly liked the previous thread covering famous Brummies of which you contributed several postings O0. My intention was that if you were to revisit the theme then Graham our resident celebrity should be placed up there. I even used a smiley to set the tone. :D
I'm only able to get on the computer during my break period and enjoyed seeing how the threads developed and Brummie humour ;D
There seems to be a lot of bickering lately compared with the earlier threads which were an enjoyable read.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:26:58 AM »
No problem Tyke. To be honest i have slept since then and had to slightly blush that i had dragged up an old thread. ::)

You think that lately there has been bickering?? You obviously did not read that far into the archives. It was guns at dawn between a few at one point but happy to say that sorted itself out without any blood being shed. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy