Author Topic: Rackhams  (Read 2493 times)

beatnick bo

Rackhams
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
I worked at Rackhams 1963/4 in the display department.I had been asked to leave Art college due to lack of attendance and my Dad was so angry He made me take the forst job on offer actualy it was great fun as the store was only 12 months old and shon like a star in Birmingham much like Selfridges does today.I left and went
back to Art college and remained till the end this time and worked in advertising and print till I retired.The xmas windows of 1963 won an award it was alibarber and his 40 thieves inspired we put 8 tons of sand in the front windows love to hear from anyone who remembers the early years.

tony armstrong

Re: Rackhams
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
i was a 15 year old boy started work in an wholesale warehouse [sc larkins] in livery st and my female supervisor used to send me to buy her bras from rackams which was a little daunting for a young impressionable youth like me in 1962 mind it didnt help much when we used to do fashion shows in the queens hotel every  year and i happened to be a trainee sales man in the ladies fashion dept all those scantily clad women walking round phew minds racing again. :D

greenbrummie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
i was a 15 year old boy started work in an wholesale warehouse [sc larkins] in livery st and my female supervisor used to send me to buy her bras from rackams which was a little daunting for a young impressionable youth like me in 1962 mind it didnt help much when we used to do fashion shows in the queens hotel every  year and i happened to be a trainee sales man in the ladies fashion dept all those scantily clad women walking round phew minds racing again. :D

In the early 60's my cousin worked as fitter/saleswoman in the lingerie/corsetry department at the newly opened Rackhams.   She was asked to model for her company at the fashion shows .   Her fiancee told her if she did it would all be off.       She declined,  presuming he meant the engagement.   True Story ;D

beatnick bo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
yes the fashion shows ofted caused problems a lot of the girls did model and lots of us boys clogged up the escalarors getting to watch the event.It was all very tasteful and well done.

Heidi64

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »
I worked at Rackhams 1963/4 in the display department.I had been asked to leave Art college due to lack of attendance and my Dad was so angry He made me take the forst job on offer actualy it was great fun as the store was only 12 months old and shon like a star in Birmingham much like Selfridges does today.I left and went
back to Art college and remained till the end this time and worked in advertising and print till I retired.The xmas windows of 1963 won an award it was alibarber and his 40 thieves inspired we put 8 tons of sand in the front windows love to hear from anyone who remembers the early years.

My mum Patricia worked on the record counter in 1963, do you remember her?

Jan Hull

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
I’m writing my memoirs 😮I went to Harold Cartwright Grammar in 1964. Rackhams supplied the purple uniform. As an 11 year old I was selected to take part in a fashion show at school(?) with clothing supplied by Rackhams. No idea why! I didn’t realise it was a relatively new store. Does it still exist? I’m 400 miles away.

Spud

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »
I’m writing my memoirs 😮I went to Harold Cartwright Grammar in 1964. Rackhams supplied the purple uniform. As an 11 year old I was selected to take part in a fashion show at school(?) with clothing supplied by Rackhams. No idea why! I didn’t realise it was a relatively new store. Does it still exist? I’m 400 miles away.
Still exists  a pale shadow of how it used to be. Probably a little Isolated with the Bull Shopping Centre and Grand Central proving popular. I understand that the site is to be redeveloped with smaller retail outlets Bars and restaurants. It must be around 60 years since it opened it's doors.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:55:02 AM »
Bought my girlfriend  my first xmas present to her in 1959 from Rackhams.The Beachboys Album.Still got it.Still great O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

netty

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
Edmund they must have been the beech babies in 1959, first album surfin safari 1961.
Getting your girlfriend's mixed up :-[ ;D

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
NETTY thanks for the info. It probably was  then. It was the same girlfriend from  59 to 63 when we got married. And still are
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

netty

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 05:38:00 PM »
Do you think you will stick it out . Nearly 60 years ,congrats O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy