Author Topic: 60s Motorcycle dealers  (Read 40373 times)

Patriot

Re: 60s Motorcycle dealers
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
When I owned a BSA DB34 Gold Star I got a bit fed up with the 'wind in the face' bit so I went to see Bill Jakeman in Brindley Ford who was a whizz at making fairings in aluminium and fibreglass.
He had a racing fairing going spare so I asked him to fit it to my 'bike and he made a super job of fitting the headlamp into the aperture he made.
Problem was it was polished ali and blatting it down the dual carriageway between Cannock and Wolverhampton, Mr.Plod pulled me over. 'Do you know you're blinding everyone with that?' 'Pardon?' 'Get that fairing painted or wire woolled, it's like a moving mirror'. 8) 'Sorry Officer'.

I had it painted.  :-\

It was very similar to this:
The ex-Bill Smith/John Hartle, Thruxton 500-Mile Race class-winning,1961 Honda 250cc CB72 Production Racing Motorcycle  Frame no. CB72 22396 Engine no. CB72E 211395

Woo Hoo!
I married Miss Right. I didn't know her first name was Always.

BrummieBaz

« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Sidecarsid- was reading older posts and strongly suspect that you and I have crossed paths a time or two between 1959 and 1964. The common thread was AMCA. I was a member of The Phoenix Club, and regularly rode trials. Knew Ec Hyland (with a CMA crest on his shoulder). Arfur Browning was a pal, plus knew all the Hanks Clan. Can contact me directly? Brummiebaz

vicmills

« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
I worked at Coles in 1971. I was in the spares department with the late Stan Dilke. I learned a lot from him and from Benny Coles. Smashing people. Bob Coles had just took on a Toyota dealership and even then the cars were terrific as was the spares supply, not that they needed much. In those days Toyota spares were in Dover. I still remember the phone number Shepherdswell 266. I remember Mick Potter in Sales as well. Roger Miller

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
A couple of late addition here, C Copes shop on the Hagley Road in what looks like the 1930's and later in possibly the 50's when they look to have taken over all the shops in the photo.
Make Love Not War

AWJD

« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
The lower picture brings back memories from the mid-1960's since Copes was opposite my school entrance and I walked past the premises countless times on my way to the shops in Bearwood. However, I can't really remember spending much time looking through the windows at what was on display which would have been a bit odd for me as I had a passion for all things motorcycle at the time! I'm not sure whether this was because they mainly sold smaller bikes rather than big BSA A65's or Triumph Bonnies that I lusted after?

mw0njm

« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
Hi Baz.
Ref to the Solihull MC club, I'm thinking that probably  the Solihull club may have united with the Birmingham Motorcycle Club as I knew quite a lot of members of the Birmingham Motor Cycle Club where from the Solihull & Shirley areas including people like ex  TT racer Albert Moule, the owner of Sherwood Motorcycles who's second name I cant recall but his first name was Pete. There were many  more members from  those areas.
Then there was a lady by the name of Olga Kevelos who was one of the first women who  took part and win in the International six day trials. The club ran two major National Trials One was the British Experts Trial run at Knighton in Wales and the other I can't recall. The club also ran a couple of  hill climb but again I can't recall the venues.
Hi Baz.
Ref to the Solihull MC club, I'm thinking that probably  the Solihull club may have united with the Birmingham Motorcycle Club as I knew quite a lot of members of the Birmingham Motor Cycle Club where from the Solihull & Shirley areas including people like ex  TT racer Albert Moule, the owner of Sherwood Motorcycles who's second name I cant recall but his first name was Pete. There were many  more members from  those areas.
Then there was a lady by the name of Olga Kevelos who was one of the first women who  took part and win in the International six day trials. The club ran two major National Trials One was the British Experts Trial run at Knighton in Wales and the other I can't recall. The club also ran a couple of  hill climb but again I can't recall the venues.
Hi Countrylad.

I'm very happy to relieve you of the stress that you have been going through for all this time. I think the reason for the demise of the Tina scooter was the fact that it had a belt drive similar to the on that was fitted to the little DAF car called a Verio-matic. The Tina 's belt was always slipping especially in wet weather, but DAF took it one step further as I believe that their belt was a toothed drive with an automatic tensioning system, but don't take my word for it as I'm doing a little guesswork after all it was a long time ago.
Regards.

SC Sid.
i had both a tina,and a daf 55 lol
pete

mw0njm

« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
Sherwoods Motorcyles in Robin Hood lane is now closed it has been running down for some time and over the last few months the premises have been vacated one half recently  taken over by Painters Funerals and the other half  still empty.
I have lived in the area for more than 40 years and the premises shown in Phil's 1956 photo was taken over by Able Mobility  [Now Hearing and Mobility ]  some years ago and Sherwoods took over premises just a few doors away. It was still a very popular  haunt for Motor Cyclists and Police Patrol Motor Cyclists up until just a few years ago when it just seem to die on its feet. I used pass it almost every day fetching my newspaper and by 8:30 am there were rows of motor cycles [mainly Japanese] lined up outside the shop. Very sad.
triumph made a 175cc tigeress and a 250cc tigeress scooters the bsa made the same models  with a badge change. a sunbeam.scooter
pete

cocacolakid

« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »

A couple of late addition here, C Copes shop on the Hagley Road in what looks like the 1930's and later in possibly the 50's when they look to have taken over all the shops in the photo.

Phil...

Pleased you posted that picture of Copes Motorcycles on the Hagley Rd. I worked there as a trainee salesman in the early 60s. I got bored of it, they got me doing a lot of paperwork. I used to disappear down to the workshop and talk to the mechanics, I asked to be transferred to the workshop as I had a mechanical background! I was told there were no vacancies. However, some weeks later I was offered a job as a mechanic at their parent motorcycle shop, Motor Sales, Aston Rd , ( down the r/h side of the central fire station.)  In Reply to  AWJD, Copes did have a good selection of larger bikes, all the large BSA's & Triumph's etc, when I was there in 1962.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

AWJD

« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
It would probably have been 1969-70 that I remember best, Although Copes were a BSA (and probably Triumph) main stockist in the early 1960's, for some reason, they no longer were by 1969 and this may have been reflected in what I could see on display in their showrooms.

Redmoggy

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »
We my husband & I did a lot of work for Len Vale Onslow.   I had a chrome plating business in Sparkbrook (until I swallowed cyanide) and my husband was a sheet metal worker and he set up a company called Dent Doctors that repaired, chromed & painted vintage & veteran motorcycles and so Len Vale Onslow was a regular visitor to our home until his death.  I really enjoyed looking at the photos of the old motorcycle shops/places. 

AWJD

« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »
I used to visit Vale Onslows on Stratford Road throughout my youth in the 1960's but also in more recent years until it burnt down. How it had managed to survive that long is still a bit of a mystery!