Author Topic: 60s Motorcycle dealers  (Read 83727 times)

DBD34

Re: 60s Motorcycle dealers
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
Hi Malc ----Fantastic memories you have, my 1st job on leaving school was at the Co-Op in Bearwood, without fail l would spend every lunch hour browsing the used bikes in Copes, Hagley Rd by the Kings Head, too young and too broke to buy but dreams cost nowt.
A friend of mine, David Lowe worked at Motor Sales in around '62 as a trainee mechanic so spent a lot of time around there too.
Grays was another dealership that has to be mentioned, one on Coventry Rd, Small Heath and another on Wellington Rd Perry Barr. In 1964 l bought a 1961 BSA Super Rocket, fully dressed with Avon fairing, panniers & crash bars for 120 guineas [ all Grays prices were in guineas] from the Perry Barr shop.
I left Coles to work for Geoff Bennett [ ex Brummie & Cradley speedway rider] He had a big house on Coventry Rd Small Heath near to Grays with a workshop at the rear where bike repairs were carried out, don't know how Geoff made this profitable but he was a lovely man and in the short time l stayed there l really enjoyed it. I had a Panther 600 at the time which he bought off me to hitch a box to and this would tow a car with no trouble.
Never owned my dream bike 500 Gold Star, rode plenty at Coles took the heel off my boot kicking one over damn near breaking my ankle, beautiful machine but always way beyond my price range.
Thanks for sharing your memories, much appreciate it, Pete.

DBD34

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
Hi Spud, Coles were always on Coventry Rd Digbeth, in the 60s when bike sales were falling off they decided to expand into car sales. l remember a site they had on College Rd, New Oscott where l was sent briefly to help set up.
I can't remember why but nothing came of this, but after l had left they opened Mayfair Motors on Stratford Rd where they had a franchise for Lada l think but l had moved on by this time so had nothing to do with this. I can't even be sure when B Coles & sons closed but remember calling in during the 70s with a view to buying a Gold Flash with Steib sidecar. l didn't buy it though and kind of lost contact after that. Thanks for sharing your memory, its much appreciated, Pete,

page

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
I to used to dream about bikes in my young days, had my Tiger 110 from Vale Onslow loved that shop. Grays was a bike shop i used a lot down the bottom of the shop u could see a lot of the older bikes, good days.

Akatarawa

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
What has happened I wonder to all those very old bikes that nearly all the m/c dealers like Coles had at the back of their shops or yards ?  Did they all go down the tip ?

Another shop I used to get BSA parts from was Bob Joiners.  Can't remember now where their shop was,  but they moved onto the Wolverhampton Road just down from I lived.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Not a place I ever knew myself, but here is Grays on Wellington Rd, Handsworth in 1955.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

beatnick bo

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
My dad told me that He bought his first Motorbike from a shop on the corner of Easy Row and Edmond St does anyone know of this shop I was only small when He told me and never actualy saw the shop

tony armstrong

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
i was wondering if you british bike enthusiasts have been to see the banbury run held every year in banbury obviously which is held on fathers day every year and a must for every bike enthusiast i lived in banbury for 37yrs and would never miss it. O0

cocacolakid

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
[quote author=DBD34
Hi Malc ----Fantastic memories you have.
Never owned my dream bike 500 Gold Star, rode plenty at Coles took the heel off my boot kicking one over damn near breaking my ankle, beautiful machine but always way beyond my price range.
Thanks for sharing your memories, much appreciate it, Pete.

Hi Pete..
Good to hear your bike experiences.   Like you, a BSA  Gold Star was out of my price range, and still are, have you seen the prices on E-Bay? However I was friends with a lad in the Midland Motorcycle Racing Club who owned one, a 350cc. Like me, he worked at Vale Onslows, he was on the counter in the spares shop, his name was Terry. Anyway, one day I went over to his house for something, he kindly offered me a go on the "Goldie".  As you can imagine, I was chuffed at his offer, however,  when I kicked it over, the damn thing kicked back, and the kick start lever gave me such a clout at the back of my leg. Within minutes my leg turned blue and was badly swollen, I ended up at the accident hospital. fortunately, nothing was broken, just severe bruising. I never did get a ride on a Goldie.  :(

I knew of Grays motorcycles, but never had any dealings with them.
                                                                                                             [/i]                                                                                                  Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

DBD34

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
Phil, thanks for the Grays photo, happy days!!.

Tony, Thanks for the reminder of the Banbury run. Down the years there's so many places & events l've promised myself like the I,O,M, TT,  but for various family & work commitments l've never gotten round to managing them. However now that l am retired l hope to put these things right.

Malc, thanks for your memory of the "dream machine". If l got the lottery up there would be a Goldie in my garage, l would lubricate it with Castrol R and run it just to hear that beautiful exhaust "twitter" on over run and breathe in the "R", memories of Mallory Park in '60s.
Despite todays bikes being high tech, fast, reliable etc,etc, to me they lack soul & individuality, even today l could name makes of Brit bikes by there engine/exhaust tone, l don't think you could do that with modern bikes. Maybe it's just a generation/era thing but how many young guys would be able to even start a high compression 500cc single without todays starter motors?? and how many could strip and rebuild their pride & joy in the back yard using only basic tools. Sorry if l sound like an old codger [which l suppose l am] but l loved everything 6os/70s & 80s but l don't thing todays young folk will look back with such affection, we were so lucky.

tony armstrong

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
nearest i ever got to a goldie and i know its not the same was a 1967 441cc bsa victor and it was leak free and also would give you one hell of a kick as my late brother in law would confirm. >:D

frederick

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
Believe it or not but this car had a BSA gold star silenser fitted and gold star valves and double valve springs and the cylider head had been machined to give more compretion at the BSA. we had wheel spin when pulling away   O0 
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy