Author Topic: 60s Motorcycle dealers  (Read 83735 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: 60s Motorcycle dealers
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
Sherwoods Garage Robin Hood Lane c1956.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
Great picture Phil. Seems like only yesterday I was walking past there with my old dad. One thing that still stands out in my mind (about 1960ish) was the name 'TINA' written in large letters across the window. I think it may have been a make or model of a scooter or moped.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
Hello again Countrylad.

It was indeed Tina, a Triumph Tina, that was their first venture into making scooters for a while it was a 50cc belt drive but unfortunately it was another flop, the second scooter they made was either a 200cc twin but I can't remember the models name, although the name Tigress springs to mind. The BSA also made a similar model which was with a slightly bigger engine a 250cc and I think that was called a Sunbeam.
SC Sid.

Spud

« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2017, 05:28:56 PM »
Sherwoods Motorcyles in Robin Hood lane is now closed it has been running down for some time and over the last few months the premises have been vacated one half recently  taken over by Painters Funerals and the other half  still empty.
I have lived in the area for more than 40 years and the premises shown in Phil's 1956 photo was taken over by Able Mobility  [Now Hearing and Mobility ]  some years ago and Sherwoods took over premises just a few doors away. It was still a very popular  haunt for Motor Cyclists and Police Patrol Motor Cyclists up until just a few years ago when it just seem to die on its feet. I used pass it almost every day fetching my newspaper and by 8:30 am there were rows of motor cycles [mainly Japanese] lined up outside the shop. Very sad.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

countrylad

« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »
Hello again Countrylad.

It was indeed Tina, a Triumph Tina, that was their first venture into making scooters for a while it was a 50cc belt drive but unfortunately it was another flop, the second scooter they made was either a 200cc twin but I can't remember the models name, although the name Tigress springs to mind. The BSA also made a similar model which was with a slightly bigger engine a 250cc and I think that was called a Sunbeam.
SC Sid.
S.C Sid, you have solved the puzzle that has been inside my head since I was a nipper.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
Hi Countrylad.

I'm very happy to relieve you of the stress that you have been going through for all this time. I think the reason for the demise of the Tina scooter was the fact that it had a belt drive similar to the on that was fitted to the little DAF car called a Verio-matic. The Tina 's belt was always slipping especially in wet weather, but DAF took it one step further as I believe that their belt was a toothed drive with an automatic tensioning system, but don't take my word for it as I'm doing a little guesswork after all it was a long time ago.
Regards.

SC Sid.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cocacolakid

« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
Was it this one on the corner of Sheep Street & Aston Street?

I worked at that motorcycle shop as a motorcycle mechanic c.1962. I got a transfer to Motor Sales, from Copes, on the Hagley Rd, who owned it as a parent company. I left there after a while, when I was offered a job at Vale-Onslows on the Stratford Rd. There is some more info on page 1 of this topic, by me, if you are interested.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
There is one motorcycle shop/dealer that I don't think as been mentioned, and that is Wal Handleys on Holloway Head. Wal was a famous T.T rider in the early years, there is a part of the course that bears his name. I bought my first motorcycle from them, an Ariel Arrow 250cc, with an Avon sports fairing.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

BrummieBaz

Re: 60s Motorcycle Clubs
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »
I remember the Triumph Tina well- I was loaned one of the prototypes back then to put some miles on it. Great fun- drove it with my left hand in my pocket.....drew stares at traffic lights! Was a Member of the Solihull M/C Club 1959-1963 (ACU) as well as a member of AMCA Phoenix Club. Looking for a few   mates from both still upright and mobile- Len Watton from Shirley (ran Paynes Shoe Repair) Bob Taylor worked at Triumph in Meriden. Pat Slinn from BSA.
Anyone remember the pub on Stratford Road where we met on thursdays? Does the Solihull Club still exist? Still miss those days! Living deep in Dixie in the SE corner of Tennessee currently.

Sidecarsid

« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
Hi Baz.
Ref to the Solihull MC club, I'm thinking that probably  the Solihull club may have united with the Birmingham Motorcycle Club as I knew quite a lot of members of the Birmingham Motor Cycle Club where from the Solihull & Shirley areas including people like ex  TT racer Albert Moule, the owner of Sherwood Motorcycles who's second name I cant recall but his first name was Pete. There were many  more members from  those areas.
Then there was a lady by the name of Olga Kevelos who was one of the first women who  took part and win in the International six day trials. The club ran two major National Trials One was the British Experts Trial run at Knighton in Wales and the other I can't recall. The club also ran a couple of  hill climb but again I can't recall the venues.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy