Author Topic: Bells lane  (Read 2212 times)

Jilly64

Bells lane
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
 :D Hi ,everyone , just came across this site as i was looking for old photos of brum , i was born in a prefab in bells lane ,orcheston close, so interested to see some photos , we moved to winterbourne cresent when they knocked our prefab down ,as those ones were metal i think ,i started bells lane school in 1953 . when i was about 15 we moved to trittiford rd ,i went to trittiford school , wonder if anyone would remember me i am 64

frederick

Re: Bells lane
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
Jilly64,
Would you have known the Crumps or the name Hands that went to that school.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jilly64

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
hi frederick , not sure about those names ,although tony hands keeps coming to mind ,my brothers would have probably known them but one has died and i dont talk to the other so cant really help, jilly

frederick

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
Jilly64,
His name is Mick Hands.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

riverboy

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
Spent my childhood from 1947 to 1964 living in Winterbourne crescent, and attending Bells lane school.
Paddling in the brook, picking bluebells in the woods, building castles with hay bales in the fields, running around the streets playing chase after dark, pinching sleepers for our bonfires they were used as ramps for cars to get up kerbs.
Going behind shops for bottles to get the penny off them in outdoor.
Great place great memories, it was good being a kid in the 50's.

Tondon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »
Hi there, can anyone pinpoint for me where winterbourne cresent was please?

Spud

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
Forgive if I am wrong but could it be Winterbourne Croft not Crescent  Post Codes B14 5 PU  /B14 5PT its in the Bells Lan Druids lane area A To Z ref 5H105
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Tondon

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 04:46:44 PM »
That would certainly make sense Spud, despite two people referring to it as Crescent - maybe it was Crescent and is now Croft? I'm just guessing as I have never even been to these places - a relative lived here years ago though. Thanks for pointing it out.

PTV@7green@22

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
When I lived at bells Lane estate/what is now druids Heath it was definitely Winterborne Crescent. I lived in Stapleford Road until 1959 our prefab was one of the 1st to be demolished not the greatest of houses but more than adequate at the time
Does anyone remember the Hathaway family the locks family  Larigos The Grundy family or the Shepard’s
I attended Bells Lane School from 1953 to 1958 when Mr Hancock was the headmaster

Many happy memories are playing out late at night and playing in the farmers fields

Spud

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »
I am not disputing  what you say about Winterbourne Cres. Perhaps if I explain the map which I refer shows Winterbourne CROFT is dated 1995 Could it be that there was a change of name  between 1959 and 1995 ?
Looking at Google Maps there is a Winterbourne Croft B14 5 Pu still in existence .
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

PTV@7green@22

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 04:32:16 PM »
It’s fascinating to catch up with people who lived within a stones throw from where I was as a child on Bells Lane I was there from 1948 to 1959 and I knew that estate like the back of my hand. It was definitely Winterborne Crescent and it changed its name to Winterborne Croft when the site was redeveloped in the 60s  when it DID became Winterborne Croft
The comment of washing milk bottles in the Brook and taking them back to Mr Giles for a penny that was a regular occurrence someone would keep him talking in the shop whilst someone else jumped over the fence to get the milk bottles he’d  already made a refund on naughty I know but so much fun at the time and that was a pocket money because we didn’t get anything else.
Some may remember Mr Hancock who was the headmaster at Bells Lane Miss Busher was deputy head and miss Phelps was the reception teacher I also remember Mr Pascoe and of course there was the inimitable Mrs Watson who could forget her

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy