Author Topic: Steelhouse Lane Police Station  (Read 11424 times)

Bannion

Re: Steelhouse Lane Police Station
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
My thanks Trapio for your welcome back.  I have replied to your p.m.

Since posting earlier the old grey cells have been working and think you might be interested if I expand on the tale I told.

Being a Saturday the high courts were not in use and we would all tramp into the court room.  The Detective Chief Superintendent would sit in the judges seat with his deputy beside him.   All the Detective Chief Inspectors, representing all the divisions in the city  would occupy the seats normally used by the jury and we would find seats wherever they could be found.  So the 'Saturday morning prayers'  as we called them would  begin.

DCS Baumber, as he was, would take each division in turn and query the circumstances of each of their ongoing serious crimes and how each enquiry was progressing.   In principle it was a good idea for we were all so engrossed in affairs of our own division that we had scant idea of the serious matters elsewhere and there was an outside chance that anyone of us may have gleaned some information that we could share and hopefully help the specific enquiry along.

Baumber was king and he knew it.  On one occasion I recall that on one division a robbery had occurred where a couple were attacked in their home, bound and robbed.   The circumstances were outlined by the Detective .Chief  Inspector of that division and a resume of how the enquiry was going.  Now we all knew that the king did not look favourably on the D.C.I and queried what had been found out about the hairs, found at the point of entry to house, on a window pane.  The immediate reply was flannel, for the DCI knew nothing of any hairs, that we all could appreciate by his reply ,that the hairs belonged to the dog of the home.  Baumber came straight back by saying that there was no dog in the household when he had attended and demanded a better update at the following weeks prayers.   Heck that man had his fingers on the pulse of the department and ruled it accordingly.     

michael duffy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
I went for a drink under the staion is it still ther

Bannion

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
Michael, The last time I went for a drink in the bar at Steelhouse lane would have been in about 1969.   I left Brum in 1975 and apart from visits to relatives never returned.   I have heard that it, and the restaurant that was on the same basement floor to the place, closed many years ago.

I think that it became politically correct not to encourage officers to drink for I can recall many celebrations following a successful conviction of certain baddies at the Assize/Sessions in Victoria courts.     

michael duffy

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »
can any one tell me why new cars are so dear have they not heard of ression

mikejee

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »
Are you talking about police cars Michael?

michael duffy

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
why are new cars so dear have they heard of ression

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
Michael,

The price of cars has nothing to do with this thread, please start another thread and I will remove these posts.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

corruna

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
Steelhouse police station and The Lock-up are two different buildings although adjacent to one another.. They each have their own entrances. The police station does not have any cells but uses the overnight cells in the Lock-up accessed through a connecting door

Bill H

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
I joined the Birmingham City Police in 1963 and was given a room in A Division single Men's Quarters which was on the top floor of Steelhouse Lane Police Station. Little did I realise that this beautiful room was almost always vacant since one of the wall was alongside the lift shaft which was operational 24 hours per day, making sleeping somewhat difficult. In the time I served on A Division,  Steelhouse Lane was the A Division H.Q.. It housed many other units other than the cells previously referred to. The top floor one end housed the divisional Commander and his administrative staff, behind which were single men's quarters.  Below was the CI.D. staff offices & Road Safety Staff. On the ground floor was the Public desk and the Uniform Parade Room, whilst below was a large staff Canteen, behind which was a open yard which had a turn table on which the Chief Superintendent's staff car was turned around since its access route was so tight, it was impossible for the driver to do a 3 point turn. Below the main entrance further down the street were two further units. If I recall correctly the first housed the Police Women's Department, which was totally segregated from the male staff and below that was the Firearms Department. Also attached to the end of this building with an entrance in Newton Street was the entrance to the Chief Constables Office, (then occupied by Sir Derek Capper) this being before Lloyd House existed. How it has all changed with time and some would say for the better?

peter2001

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
legend has it that it's bewitched by a ghost of a lady, who stalks the Victorian structure with its curved brick doorways and iron grate  balconies. She bewitches the unfortunate police who work there as they scurry around its rabbit warren design, driving them mad and leading them to wrong actions against the public. But you didn't find out from me ! Oh yes, if you really wish to know what its like on the inside, tell them that your homeless, and you may be lucky enough to spend the night before it shuts!

alang

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
Anybody know if Steelhouse Lane is still an active police station and if the cells are still in use?

I read that a new 60 cell custody suite had opened in Perry Barr a few months ago and wondered if it had replaced Steelhouse Lane?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy