Author Topic: Steelhouse Lane Police Station  (Read 11427 times)

townie

Re: Steelhouse Lane Police Station
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »

Steelhouse Lane Continued

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Museumcop

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

I have just been reading this thread and just signed up.

There are open days being held at the former lock Up for the public to come and view. Next one is the 13th September. Join  the museums new site WMPeelers.com for details.

MuseumCop

Potomac

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
A grim looking place.  I would think that anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves in there would make sure they never made a re-visit.    ;)
Noting the Open Day I wondered if WPC 56 is going to be there?  ;D
best wishes,  Alan

Museumcop

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
Yes you may think that.

However the open day we held in July saw two chaps taking together clearly debating something. I went across to ensure all was well only to discover the debate was about which of two cells the one of them had stopped in some years back ;D

The building is interesting for several reasons. It has fantastic Victorian architecture, it has memories for both prisoners and police officer who have stayed/worked there and then those members of the public curious about the use of the building.

At £5 per ticket and child free, well worth a visit.

Museumcop

townie

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
I don't think its a good idea to take youngers into police cells, To me its not a deterrent its a reminder of the future. To the many who have passed through them doors and yes I am one of them and many others don't want to be reminded.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

astoness

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
as phil has said i was very lucky to be invited to the closing ceremony of steelhouse lane police station back in january...great tour round really enjoyed looking at the wonderful victorian architecture...i was listening to parents and grandparents telling the children that if they break the law this tiny room is where they will end up with the door locked so i see no harm in showing them what to expect.. of course we all know that these days the modern prisons have plenty of recreation going on but the children dont know that do they..here is the video i took of the lowering of the flag...very windy and cold day as well ::)

lyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=49&v=IiJtdYPV-Lw

Steve

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Their corned beef doorstep sarnies were great. Though the aluminium mugs having been stood in a baines marie to keep them hot were a pain. By the time the mug was cool enough to drink from the tea was cold. :(
 A couple of years later I started a job in Maintenance at Newtons, Thimble Mill Lane. The head security guy was Harry, the Sergeant I/C at Steelhouse nick. He remembered me too. :o

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Trev moore

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 03:03:57 PM »
Hi I’ve just joined this forum and wondered if you was still active in it,In relation to a post you put on My mom was Irene guest who was Ernie guests daughter The barrow boy from sparkbrook
Regards trev

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy