Author Topic: Charles Dobson/Emery transport  (Read 2061 times)

DBD34

Charles Dobson/Emery transport
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:12 PM »
Long shot this l know, but does anyone have memories or info on -- Charles Dobson transport, Golden Hillock Rd Small Heath, or R Emery transport, Hartopp Rd, Alum Rock. Worked for both in '6os & '70s . Both are long gone but maybe someone else out there drove for them, love to share memories if you did

vixw

Re: Charles Dobson/Emery transport
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
I realise this is a very old post but please contact me if you're still around xxx

townie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »
Hi vixw you might have a long wait as DBD34 has not been active on the forum since August 28, 2013.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

DBD34

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
Hi, I am still around amazingly, haven't used this forum for some time but just received a mailshot advising me of replies. I apologise to Townie as l was not aware of your reply,
Vixw, I'm interested to hear whether you remember or worked for Alf Dobson back in the 60s/70s, can't be many of us still around.

townie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
Nice to see you back DBD34  O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
Hi DBD34

Would that be the same Charlie Dobson who had a yard at the bottom of Corporation Street and one on Landor Street on the early 70's. Who also started a transfer station across the road from his yard in Landor Street called Tip a Pak Ltd?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vixw

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:43 PM »
Ahh and sometimes a long shot pays off!!! I was hoping you'd get a notification!  I'm Victoria,  my dad worked for Mr.Dobson for many years, he's Alan Weatherer, he was a bookkeeper in training to be an accountant. We are also really good friends with Jean Chapman who used to work in the office. I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help me , mum and dad have been married for 50 years in September and I'm trying to track down one of the mechanics, called Richard Davies, married a girl called Violet. He was dad's best man, sadly they lost touch. If you remember my dad let me know your name, I can pass it on to him with pleasure and Jean too.
Kind regards

vixw

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
Oh and Dads still in touch with David Roscoe too!

DBD34

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »
Vixw can you provide your email address please, mine is [email protected].

Phil, Charlie Dobson had a very successful yard in Landor Street but l don't know much about that side as the scrap and transport were seperate concerns and Alf Dobson ran the transport. I'm a bit vague on the ins and out of it all but Charlie and Alf were brothers and despite trying to research information on the businesses over the years there is very little out there. If anyone has any info l would love to hear from them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
DBD34

That's fine, I'm not claiming to have known Charlie Dobson all that well only that when we covering the Rover in Garrison Street with our skips we used his transfer station in Landor Street. One thing I remember was that you needed a good handbrake when  backing up that ramp to tip at the top. I'm not sure if he sold out when the facility became Tip a Pak, but I know it became very expensive toward the time we stopped using it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vixw

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
Hi, I've emailed you. Thank you x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy