Author Topic: ward end hall secondary modern school  (Read 6262 times)

evans64

ward end hall secondary modern school
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
does anyone have any photographs or tales of ward end hall senior secondary modern school in the periods
1960-1970.

Moira keehan

Re: ward end hall secondary modern school
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
I wish I could replace photos that were stolen in my photo albums! Mr Haynes was headmaster- he sadly passed away the day of our geography O level! Taken over by Mr Willis and then by Mr Howles. Ms Bailey and Mrs Bessley were other teachers I remember and Mrs Knowles taught shorthand and typing . Good school!!

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:00:57 AM »
I went to ward end hall also and have a few memories like when we had ice skating and caught the bus into town and the cross country runs around ward end park. I recall the forms been either the P's W's or O's. i was in the 1O 2O 3O 4O and 5O. i have no idea what the letters stood for but we called it the POW camp. In the 5th year we had the use of the common room for coffee instead of using the playground which was great in winter when the other years had to play out. I can recall most of the teachers from my time, these include
Mr Gordon - Metalwork (smacked me around the head )
Mrs Etheridge - Science
Mr Dawes - Science (caned me)
Mr Price - Geography and Games
Mr Watson (caveman) - History
Miss Quinn - Maths
Mr Goss - Deputy Head
Mrs Beasley- Head
Mrs Williams - Maths
Mr Fenwick - English (smacked with the blackboard ruler)
Sue - lab assistant ( not a teacher )
Mr Drury - History or Geology I think (caned me)
Mr Longbridge - Games (slippered me)
Mrs Worrell - Games

COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

Moira keehan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
I recognise most names but I think you were there a bit later than me. I eventually earned degrees and a doctorate so they did well for me!! Those were actually very good days! :)

Lynne5555

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
Hi, I attended ward hall from 1965/70... I remember Mrs Wilkinson, science lab teacher, Mr Hewitt sports teacher, Mrs peters sport teacher, Mrs barnet headmistress, maybe Mr Graham music teacher.

Moira Gomes

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »
Hi Lynne you must have been there around my time. Looking back they were good years, really. Someone mentioned Herman and as a prefect- I remember he was always in trouble! I still wish I had photos....Irene Wrentmore married and moved to Dawlish, Devon. William Mansell lived in Sheerness, Kent but haven't heard from him- married. Stephen Barnsley married with two children but passed away some 20 years ago- very sad. I live in Reading-
Moved here for work 1999. Do keep in touch.

Lynne5555

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
Hi Moria, was Herman a black guy? my sister Rosemary Dodd went out with a Mansell brother who lived on bromford lane, they had a motorbike accident, how old are you Moira? I have lived in Sutton Coldfield for 30 years, I lived in Fulham from the age of 19 until 1987.

Julienne

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:19:37 AM »
I attended ward end hall left in 1970 as a 3rd year student I remember vernal Herman he was tall like me think he lived in Leigh road also remember Mrs wilkinson science she used to rap my knuckles with the ruler for biting my nails!

lulu1968

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
hi, my teacher was mr ferguson, english mrs bailey she used to go in the stock room as she was diabetic..mr haynes headmaster,i left 68 lucy walsh then .brenda hall helen keefe,hazel dingwall,john peace,linda ward,were my friends.

lulu1968

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
does anyone have any photographs or tales of ward end hall senior secondary modern school in the periods..yes remember when they sent all the lads from lea village who were rough to our school?? anyone..
1960-1970.

Michael Newcombe

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
i was a pupil at ward end hall school from 1958 to 1962. I Remember in 1960 a pupil called Gary porter was killed by lightning whilst playing cricket at bromford bridge racecourse during the school learning period at 11am in the morning held by a teacher who later resigned as he sent him back to collect the wickets as they all ran for cover when a thunderstorm broke out overhead. We all heard thunder at the school as it was a showery morning. The headmaster a mr t. H. Haines called everybody to the main assembly room hall on the ground floor where we were told , some of the girls were in tears . On the day of the funeral we all had to assemble outside the school in lines as a mark of respect as the funeral cars passed by.see British newspaper archives Birmingham post dated 15 th July 1960, boy saw friend die in storm.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy