Author Topic: Football team .  (Read 2146 times)

Torq145

Football team .
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
This is a picture of a team that my Grandfather appears in , named Ernest Cresser . He was born in Parliament Street , Aston , 1883 . Trying to establish the team and the trophy . He is sat at the front row , right of the trophy . Thanks .

Alfie.H.

Re: Football team .
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Hi Torq145,

I think the trophy might be an early version of the Birmingham Senior Cup, (though I might be wrong) As your Grandfather was born in 1883, I assume this photo was taken just before the 1st World War? This would put your Grandfather in his early 20s. A place to start would be with two winners at that time, Aston Villa winners 1911-12 & Birmingham City winners 1914-15.

Hope this helps,

All the best

Alfie

Alfie.H.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »
Hi Torq145

Sorry Torq, my sums are wrong >:( . Have a look for records for about 1900 onwards. My thoughts tend to sway towards Birmingham City, purely by the all 'one colour' kit

blueblizzard

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »
Hi torq
         Just looked at some old pictures of the Birmingham Senior Cup online and it doesn't appear to be the same trophy as the one in your picture so i am stumped,,sorry mate.
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

wakadowakado

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
Hi Torq, It is almost certain that your grandfather played for Stockport County at
left half during the period 1905-07 as the age fits and there are few people bearing
that surname. He may have been known as 'Eddie'  In a Division 2 match against
Chelsea 0209 1905 Stockport won 1-0  and the famous goalkeeper Billy Foulkes
was the Chelsea keeper. I can search out more info if you respond Best wishes Wak

Torq145

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
I have some knowledge that he did play for Stockport , he was in the team v Chelsea for Chelsea's first game in 1905 . I'm more interested in this team photo and the trophy . Thanks for looking it up though and I hope one day to get to the bottom of this picture . I tried contacting a Birmingham paper but had no response ! I may yet try again . Thanks for all responses .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy