Author Topic: Anyone remember Howe St Birmingham  (Read 19517 times)

CaroleC

Re: Anyone remember Howe St Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Hello Michael, I too lived on Howe Street with my parents and younger brother in the fifties, I remember the murder, we lived in a back to back and the murder was in house joined on to us, a son murdered his father and left him in the cellar, the son went to Woodcock Street baths with friends and the police were waiting for him when he got back, apparently the body was in a terrible state. Half way up Howe Street was a shop run my Charlie and Irene Bush, they allowed people to have things on tic and when this particular man never came in to pay his bill they got suspicious and called the police.
Our name was Forrester and my grandparents name was Millichamp and they lived on Curzon Street.

Regards Daisy
Was there a grocers owned by the Connors in Howe street.  My great grannies name was Cross, I can't remember what number she lived at.

mjduffy1942

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
Hello Carole.
Was your dad named George and did he work for the 'Francis Nichol Transport co;?
Michael

CaroleC

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
Hello Michael, yes thats my dad, he then worked for Jackie Ansell

derek

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
I remember howe st,dirty dicks café at the top,i went to school with his daughter joan burnett,there was the grahams ,ann and jimmy,the partons ,smiths currys ,una,jihn marston[parker]Arthur conners shop,my sister in law Rosina worked there on a sunday,the kings arms run by albert parton.we spent many many hours there playing dominoes in the back room.actually lived there for a while, albert sold it to sam and flo.railway tavern at the bottom went to school with lee dawson whos dad was the landlord.

susanfreeth

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
Hi Michael. I know howe st. I lived in gopsal st. My name was susan shaw. I was friends with your sister, I think. Was her name Mary. I remember fondly the good old days. Charlie bush, connors, the kings arms. Alan Parton who was very popular with all us girls. I don't remember the murder, perhaps a little before my time?? 😄  I don't livE in brum now but I visit regularly. Our streets have long gone and Eastside is looking great but life was good in those days .....

CaroleC

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
Hi Michael. I know howe st. I lived in gopsal st. My name was susan shaw. I was friends with your sister, I think. Was her name Mary. I remember fondly the good old days. Charlie bush, connors, the kings arms. Alan Parton who was very popular with all us girls. I don't remember the murder, perhaps a little before my time?? 😄  I don't livE in brum now but I visit regularly. Our streets have long gone and Eastside is looking great but life was good in those days .....

I lived in Howe street with my mom and dad at my great grans house, her name was Ellen Cross, she was eventually carted off to All Saints mental hospital after seeing and fighting with the clergy on top of her wardrobe!!!  I remember Connors shop that was opposite my grans and the Kings Arms, my grand dad had many a fight in there or outside there I should say. 

page

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
Did not live in Howe st but had a good friend called David Crocket that was his real name, my name is Dan Humpage from Belmont Row.

susanfreeth

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
I remember the name David Crockett and Danny Humpage. Wonder what happened to Victor Ashford, (think that was his surname). Do you remember Peter Newsom he lived in Belmont Row. had a sister Maureen. There was a girl called Anne Campbell. Then there was the big Irish family, think they were late comers though. Probably didn't move there until early sixties?  Then there was Whittaker Ellis. the offices bottom of Belmont Row, although the working yard was round in Cardigan Street. Freddy Saunders, Mick Mcgurk. They both worked there , as did my dad Fred Shaw.  Chattaways the café. All the railwaymen from Curzon Street used it. Traffic in Cardigan Street was awful, even in those days!!. Sylvia and Fred Groves lived in Belmont row, towards Pitt Street. Their house is the only one still standing. It was used recently in a series on the tv.

page

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
Hi Susan did we go to school together seem to remember your name, our first year teacher was a miss hopit does that ring a bell. Also one of my friends from Belmont Row was Peter Birden

michael duffy

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
i can rememer your gran and your dad geoge use to take me in wagon delevering
 what happen to him he was anice man

FranJ

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
My family lived on Howe Street around 1966/67.  We lived opposite a factory that you could see into.  I remember the pub on the corner which was called the Kings Arms.  Did anyone live there during that time?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy