Author Topic: Anyone remember Howe St Birmingham  (Read 19516 times)

TerryC

Re: Anyone remember Howe St Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
HI CaroleC I have seen another post from you mentioning Mr Connors grocery store. Are you certain it in not Arthur Connell whose shop was on the corner of Princess Street?

Peter HENSMAN

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Hi everyone, let me tell you my memories
In 1952 I was born and lived at 78 Howe for many years with my older brother Dennis
We were opposite Kings Arms and Arthur Connells shop and always remember his fly catchers hanging from the ceiling (like a sticky paper roll)
We all played in the street and my mate was Johhny Robinson just a few doors down
Our neighbours were the Jones (the mother I called Auntie Millie) and daughters Jennifer and Christine
I went to school at St Vincent's and walked over the bombed peck to school
At the rail crossing in Curzon Street in summer the wagon containing bananas would be left for day and the smell of rotting bananas was incredible
Scuffle at the pub one day Mr Rosser came out saying Hobdays (iron merchants) had a gun, not sure if this was true or any shots fired
It was a great childhood and thank you all

Graham peter

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
We lived in number 32 next to the valantes and the murder you talk about was my mates dad you are right we did go swimming at woodcock st baths and the shop keeper did get the police I played football on sunday morning at bartholemues park  icecream from Iomis in buck st drank in the kings arms and the railway pubs some of the people i remember are jackie bell micky viola claude howel the claytons currys hickingbottoms smiths  crows if anyone knows me my nane is graham bacciochi I have fond memories of my life there from 1940 to 1959

Peter HENSMAN

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:44 AM »

Graham, nice to hear from you
I remember the Hickinbottoms
Is your name Italian as the Auntie (not real auntie) Millie (Emilia) I mentioned was of Italian parents (big Italian community in the area) which I assume you saw in The Peaky Blinders (they made marble tops & kitchens etc)
My brother Dennis was born in 1948 so a little closer in age to you than I was
You must have been closer to the bombed peck than use but on the same side of the road
 Arthur Connells was on the corner of Princess Street
I have attached a few photo's of what I think is Howe Street when it was bombed - let me know if you think I'm correct

Kind Regards
Peter

We lived in number 32 next to the valantes and the murder you talk about was my mates dad you are right we did go swimming at woodcock st baths and the shop keeper did get the police I played football on sunday morning at bartholemues park  icecream from Iomis in buck st drank in the kings arms and the railway pubs some of the people i remember are jackie bell micky viola claude howel the claytons currys hickingbottoms smiths  crows if anyone knows me my nane is graham bacciochi I have fond memories of my life there from 1940 to 1959

Graham peter

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
I remember howe st we had bomb pecks at the bottom of both sides of us thats at the curzon st end  and another one from gospel street to cardigan st and one from cardigan st to penn st our garden  backed on to the horsestables of the railway we spent many a happy hour playing bumper cars with the three wheeled scammell wagons all the houses above number 33 where blown to bits  but as i said we made our own enjoyment i could write a book it is nice to know that people still remember it  i have not been there for years thanks for sharering your memory of my old stamping ground

The Thinker

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
Hi 'The Thinker',
After sending my post I thought the 'Black Horse' was opposite Ashted Place. This I now realise is incorrect. The Black Horse was at the bottom of Woodcock Street. I had another uncle who lived in a court to the right of the swimming baths. The problem now is I can't remember the name of the pub next to the Coop funeral directors.
As you lived in Howe Street you might also give me some memory help. I might have a false memory of horses pulling goods wagons from one side of Curzon Street Goods Depot across the road to where the Thinktank now stands. All the pictures I have seen at Curzon Street use capstans. I am definite about the rail track across the road and walking around horse manure
Hi 'The Thinker',
After sending my post I thought the 'Black Horse' was opposite Ashted Place. This I now realise is incorrect. The Black Horse was at the bottom of Woodcock Street. I had another uncle who lived in a court to the right of the swimming baths. The problem now is I can't remember the name of the pub next to the Coop funeral directors.
As you lived in Howe Street you might also give me some memory help. I might have a false memory of horses pulling goods wagons from one side of Curzon Street Goods Depot across the road to where the Thinktank now stands. All the pictures I have seen at Curzon Street use capstans. I am definite about the rail track across the road and walking around horse manure

The Thinker

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
Hi Terry C,

Sorry for late reply.

The horses pulling goods wagons across Curzon Street, the horse manure and the rail track across The road, is correct as far as I remember.

The Thinker.

The Thinker

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »

The Thinker

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2018, 11:03:33 PM »
Hi Graham Bacciochi,

Do you remember me? I'm Malc Shaylor, I lived in The Kings Arms pub in Howe Street when my mom and dad run it. We used to be good mates but we both moved away from the area. A few years afterwards we happened to meet again and we arranged to take our girlfriends to a dance (which we did) but we forgot to arrange to meet again. Please get back to me, it would be nice to meet up again.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Malc Shaylor (The Thinker)

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
Hi Graham,did you by any chance have an uncle named George who worked at Marsh & Baxters at Castle Bromwich in the 60s.Or a relative who worked in E block at fisher & ludlow in the70s.Only my relatives the Taverleris were from Italy many years ago.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Graham peter

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
if I knew how to do this and contact people I would like to be in touch with the people I grew up with and catch up on old times

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy