Author Topic: Lea Village Junior School  (Read 3706 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Lea Village Junior School
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
Does anyone remember the pig club at Lea Village school after 1955I was the treasurer up til 1954 when I left

townie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »
Edmund I remember Lea Village school only because I used to pass it on my was to my nans, but my dad used to go there but it was before your time.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

macvelo

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Edmund, a time ago you asked if anyone knew of the Lea Village senior boys school pig club. Well I, Bob Edwards was
a member of the pig club until leaving school in December 1956. I was sponsored in by my good friend & next door neighbour Bob Butler. We lived in North Round Hay opposite Kempe Road, Kitts Green. I went to Ridpool Road Junior school before that, and before that Bloomsbury Street infant school when I lived in Saltley Road. My good friend there was
Gerald Bird. I have fond memories of all three schools, friends, the good old pig club and also Turner Brothers toolmakers
where I did my apprenticeship.   

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Macvelo,I was just before you ,Left Bloomsbury St in 1949 to live inEasthope Rd,My Granmother lived inGoodrick St.Went toRidpool Rd but only for a few months.Then to Lea Village in 50.Was Cowely still headmaster,Ward still wheelding the cane  Tickell doing woodwork.Was treasurer for 2years,did they still have the xmas dinner and raffle the pieces of pork .Great times.Have said earlier on the forum I did enjoy my school years at the Village.Do you remember from Hayden Croft .We formed a football team called Hayden Rangers  Terry Hughes Dave Hughes John Brecknell Barry Randle all from round were you lived. Nice to hear from someone from that neck of the woods .Keep Well Ed

macvelo

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 04:34:14 AM »
Edmund, Thanks for your reply. I lived at 1/57 (one back of 57) Saltley Road until 1948 when I was 7. Just down the
road was the grocers, Lismores and the sweet shop Popperwells, where she made a lot of the sweets herself, like troach,
fishes and toffee apples. There was a shop across the tram lines on Great Francis Street that sold the best ice lollies I
have ever tasted. They had a strong raspberry flavor and were only a penny each.
In 1952 when I went to Lea Village seniors Mr Cowely was still headmaster for a time until Mr Francis took over, if my
memory serves me right. Mr Tickell was the woodwork teacher, Mr Duxbury was the metalwork teacher, Mr Grey was
the physical training instructor. Then there was Mr Wenlock, Mr MacFarlane, Mr Adair, Mr Ayto and Mr Upton. I don't seem
to remember Mr Ward.
The pig club members had an excellent Xmas dinner & I was presented with a great leg of pork with number 23 on it, the
same as on my ticket. The pork had been cured and butchered for us at no cost, thanks to the father of a boy in my class,
David Thomas.
Edmund, perhaps you remember a headmaster named Mr Gregory, who was from Devon. I seem to think he was
headmaster at Lea Village junior school.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
Macvelo,Great to hear From someone that was at the school and a member of the pig club.When I have told people about it they never believed me that we gave up part of our school holidays to look after them.I still have the Menu off the tabled rom the Meal we had and the raffle ticket attached.Thanks for all the teachers names,got on well with Upton,McFarlane,Adair ,Wenlock,Duxbury Tickell.Mr Ward took us for religious knowledge & singing.He did a xmas show I was a policeman in The Pirates of Penzance.2 years after I started in the garage at Marsh & Baxter's as I crossed the road one day a voice shouted my name very loud .It was Mr Upton .To think 2years after I had left school he still remembered me.InSaltley Rd do you remember the cafe that sold great Custard tarts The trust shop was run by my Uncle & aunt .Joey and Gwen.Was good for a free apple.Keep in touch and Keep well Ed.Just to add did you know Tony Dimmock or Brian Ashwell lived in Cato St.