Author Topic: Genealogy and ancestors  (Read 7387 times)

Jacqueline

Re: Genealogy and ancestors
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
Hi,
  Thought i should define my offer after a couple of p.m's that i could not solve.
   I can try to find details of people born 1901 or earlier and if lucky it is possible to trace back many years if not centuries and build a huge tree. However i have little hope of finding info on folks born after 1901 unless the parents names [born prior to 1901] are known.
   Not sure if i will bother renewing my subscription to ancastry this time as it costs near 200 quid for the year. So i think i have a couple of months left. If you want a lookup please let me know soon.

frederick

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 10:51:30 PM »
phil,

the moving icon is that you after a few beers      :buck2:

roy,

you get better looking with age     :D
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »
Frederick,

I liked it because people often describe me as a bit of a head banger, and I often feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Phil :tickedoff:
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »
phil,
you will shake your school cap out from under all that hair doing that    ;D
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jacqueline

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 11:22:12 PM »
OK SHOULD WE JUST TELL JOKES? Wish i never bothered. :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »
Jacqueline,

I have already scolded them and threatened them all with severe chastisement, The trouble is they have no couth.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

christopher

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:45:11 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm an active poster on a UK site ... www.rootschat.com which is an easy to use online genealogy forum concentrating on local and family history research in the United Kingdon & Ireland. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

At the time of writing there are 51389  members and 1362352  posts covering 228193 topics. Since its creation in December 2003, by a couple members know as Sarah and Trystan, RootsChat has maintained a policy of using volunteer moderators working in close co-operation with the RootsChat members in an effort to keep a friendly atmosphere and to welcome new visitors.

The message posting area of the site is organised into various boards, some grouped together. As well as generic beginner and "common room" boards, each of the counties and shires in Britain and Ireland have their own boards to allow people researching in the same area to communicate and share knowledge. There is a strong ethos of sharing resources, with members frequently looking up census and parish records for each other. The RootsChatters are erudite, polite, funny, and committed.  Whatever your skills and abilities, a RootsChatter can find a way to contribute to the general knowledge base found here, and get plenty of great stuff in return.  And, the speed of those look-ups is astounding!

There are also several very active "Special Interest" boards, including One Name Studies, Emigration/Immigration, Armed Forces, Occupation Interests, Photographic Restoration & Technical Help. In addition to the forums, RootsChat provides free webspace for members to host their family trees and other genealogical information, plus it hosts a great Surnames Interest Table' site amongst others.

Friendship bonds created between members have led to the creation of two boards, the "Lighter Side" and "The Totally Off Topic", and a chatroom for humorous and postings unrelated to family history. You can also get a large amount of genealogical information from members who use the Chatroom.

On a personal note, I joined RootsChat in March 2005 and have posted  5611 messages to date ... that's 5.685 messages a day. The site is a social venue which has allowed me the pleasure of meeting some fellow Rootschatters in person at meets in both Belfast and Dublin. Like many other members I feel I know many of those who I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting in person. I am completely hooked & use RootsChat on a daily basis.

Christopher

john2000

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »
Christopher... like your hat, almost the same colour as my dayglow socks,  O0. Normally after a time, people who run the board(s), sell them them to other people/companies, and in doing so loose a lot of the original atmosphere. hope you dont do that....John 2000... O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

christopher

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »
I hope they don't need to go that route too.

Langstraat

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »
Jacky,

Thanks for your offer of help in tracing my grandfather on my mothers side. I look forward to what you're able to reveal.

You may remember from way back that I sought information about my Gt. Grandmother. Dugmore. I thought she had 9 children and lost 8 out of 9 sons/son in laws in WW1. After further searches it turned out she had 13 children. There are many dedicated amateurs who provide a very useful service to those of us who struggle with the complexities genealogy.

Tarrverimuch [censored]
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »
Jacqueline I really apologise about being slow in taking up your kind offer...due to my health problem my thinking head is not always available (hypo-thyroid with complications).

What you offer is ideal for the 'missing years' that I can't find about my maternal grandfather Martin Brislin...

I don't know what info you need, but he was born in about 1883
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=FreeBMDBirth&gss=angs-d&gsln=Brislin&gsfn=Martin&ti=0&sourceid=20740&rank=0&fh=0&recid=6962936&recoff=1+2

Martin Brislin
Year of Registration: 1883 
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 
DISTRICT: Birmingham (1837-1924) 
County: Warwickshire 

and we have info for later when he went into the Royal Warwickshires and was in the Battle of the Somme, but between that we don't have much info...

so if you're able to find anything btween 1883 and 1901 that would be great...

he and his family (we think) went to live in 49 Parliament St. Aston, where my mom was born in 1930, but not sure when they got that house.

they were in the back to backs in this very house some time after his parents came from Ireland during the potato famine
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/expats/pastpres/tm_headline=joys-of-living-back%2Dto%2Dback%26method=full%26objectid=12241648%26siteid=50002-name_page.html

see Folio 79 Page 13
http://www.hunimex.net/warwick/freecens/2393.html
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy