Author Topic: Evening Mail Mystery Cycle Run  (Read 2786 times)

River Song

Evening Mail Mystery Cycle Run
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:15 AM »
Does anyone remember this annual event in the late 1960s?

I took part in at least two of them but I can't remember the details.

I think you had to register by post and collect clues from the newspaper for some time beforehand. They would send you a little white card, and on the day you had to go to the locations in the clues and get your card stamped.

I remember one started or finished in Cofton Park, and another one started in Hall Green, but the rest of the memory is gone. Can anyone help fill in some of the details?

2michaelT

Re: Evening Mail Mystery Cycle Run
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
I remember taking part in it and it started from the Sherwood pub on the Stratford road and ended in Cofton park it was great fun..

earlswoodbob

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
I took part in one, Can’t remember where it started but it finished at Ragley Hall where the Marquis of Hertford presented the prizes, but not to me.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
I don't know much about this race but The Sherwood Pub was situated in Highfield Road and near to 'The Dingles and Yardley Wood Railway Station
 If the race started on Stratford Road I would have thought that the start would be more likely to use either The Robin Hood or The Bull or even 'The Shoes.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

2michaelT

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »
Yes the robin hood . Did`ent he live in sherwood   :)
memory   not that good then......

2michaelT

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
I wish I had saved all those clues I would love to take the Grand kids on that cycle tour``` new for them, memory lane for me.
If anyone knows how to find the newspaper archive u would be great full thanks.....

Ken U

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »
Hi. Both the 1968 and 1969 Mystery Cycle Runs began and ended at Cofton Common and followed different routes. They were both about 50 miles long - hundreds of people took part, of all ages. I was 14 and 15 when l did these and...  I still, for some reason, have most of the clues and one of the white clue cards. Worse than this, l re-did the 1969 version a few years ago without incident!

2michaelT

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi Ken
That`s fantastic i too was 14 it was a great adventure as i remember.

Is there any way you could email a copy of those clues to me?  i would be so grateful,
I remember completing the tour but i did not have the last couple of clues but just followed those ahead of me.

all the best Mike..

Ken U

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
Hi Mike, sorry about the delay, l don't often log on here. If you give me your email address or some way of contacting you l will gladly send you what l have. I have all the clues from 1968 plus a few from 1969, and some other bits. If you want the routes l can produce both from memory - just don't ask me what l had for breakfast this morning, l have no idea!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Ken.

2michaelT

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
Hi Ken

That would be great but i cant figure out how to give you my email every time i put my email address the forum wont let me post it  :-[ :-[

2michaelT

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »
Hi Mike, sorry about the delay, l don't often log on here. If you give me your email address or some way of contacting you l will gladly send you what l have. I have all the clues from 1968 plus a few from 1969, and some other bits. If you want the routes l can produce both from memory - just don't ask me what l had for breakfast this morning, l have no idea!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Ken.

Hi Ken,[email protected],

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy