Author Topic: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs  (Read 333646 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs
« Reply #913 on: August 21, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
Scipio, I have to admit that as a young man in the 60's, I fell for the advertising of Watney's Red Barrel and a Double Diamond works wonders etc. It wasn't until the late 70's that I was made aware of real ale.

The landlord of the Bell and Cross at Clent told me that it was one of only half a dozen pubs in the Birmingham area that kept M & B mild on the hand pump throughout this period. Unfortunately, M & B sold the pub a few years ago so the beer has now changed.

However, with the advent of micro-breweries I think the choice is now better than ever, Wye Valley being a favourite of mine.

Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #914 on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »

Scipio, I have to admit that as a young man in the 60's, I fell for the advertising of Watney's Red Barrel and a Double Diamond works wonders etc. It wasn't until the late 70's that I was made aware of real ale.

The landlord of the Bell and Cross at Clent told me that it was one of only half a dozen pubs in the Birmingham area that kept M & B mild on the hand pump throughout this period. Unfortunately, M & B sold the pub a few years ago so the beer has now changed.

However, with the advent of micro-breweries I think the choice is now better than ever, Wye Valley being a favourite of mine.

I'd agree with you there Ian ,they can keep their Tetleys and John Smiths . Like you real ale is what its all about
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

mikejee

« Reply #915 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Tetleys and john smith's were once good beers, as WAS M & B. however did not at all like the "M&B" I had a few months ago. Admit , though, that I am talking about bitter

nathan

« Reply #916 on: August 22, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »
p u b

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #917 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
I take it that this is the Saltwells at Netherton? In the 1970 's the landlord of the Boat Inn, Netherton (my old local) moved to the Saltwells and started monthly male strip shows. My wife went to one with some girl friends. When I asked her what it was like, she grinned and said it was disgusting, especially the antics of some of the ladies in the audience.

nathan

« Reply #918 on: August 22, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
ian
cant find a boat pub in netherton ? must of gone ?
this one said it is boat netherton stafordshire

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #919 on: August 22, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
That's it, the Boat Inn, Bumblehole, Netherton, right in front of the canal boatyard and approx 1/2 mile from the Netherton tunnel. Doug Matthews was the Landlord and when he went to the Saltwells, his daughter Lesley and her husband took over. We still occasionally meet up with them and our old next-door neighbours.

Unfortunately the Boat, which was a proper Black-country pub, closed in the 1990's. 

PS  Sorry Nathan, forgot to thank you for finding and posting the photo.

Scipio

« Reply #920 on: August 22, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »

Tetleys and john smith's were once good beers, as WAS M & B. however did not at all like the "M&B" I had a few months ago. Admit , though, that I am talking about bitter

Mike I drank M&B Brew X1 for years , but why brewers mess around with it I'll never know.  Did the powers that be ask bitter drinkers
if they wanted it on smoothpour , the biggest ruination to beer in my book . Just to emphasise my point " Boddingtons the Cream of Manchester " . It jolly well ought to stay there as well
Mark Twain

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #921 on: August 22, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
Yes, but I have noticed that there is quite a bit of hypocrisy with real ale drinkers. When they do not like the real ales on offer, they will often choose Guinness. This is a keg beer pumped up by bottled nitrogen/oxygen gas which gives it a creamy taste.

Scipio

« Reply #922 on: August 22, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
Yes, but I have noticed that there is quite a bit of hypocrisy with real ale drinkers. When they do not like the real ales on offer, they will often choose Guinness. This is a keg beer pressured by a nitrogen/oxygen gas which gives it a creamy taste.

To be honest Ian I wouldn't give you a thank you for it , tried it once and I loathed it
Mark Twain

mikejee

« Reply #923 on: August 22, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »
I agree with you Scipio about "creamy" beers. Can't stand creamy bitters. Guinness is slightly different, to me, though I very rarely drink it, in that the nitrogen means it does not have that horrible slimy mouthfeel 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy